Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
To add fuel to the rumor fire for MBPs, HP has released Ivy Bridge notebooks that you can see here.

I would think that Apple should not be that far away from updating the MBP line...

-P

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
They aren't actually 'released' though in the sense that you can't buy them yet :(

Although the sneak peak is pretty cool

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
To add fuel to the rumor fire for MBPs, HP has released Ivy Bridge notebooks that you can see here.

I would think that Apple should not be that far away from updating the MBP line...

-P
The buyers guide isn't expecting a MBP update, the MBP on the buyers guide is still on "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" and not "Don't Buy - Updates soon"

We'll soon see. I'm looking forward to purchasing a 17" MBP soon.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The buyers guide isn't expecting a MBP update, the MBP on the buyers guide is still on "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" and not "Don't Buy - Updates soon"

The buyers guide also isn't set in stone. It's a best guess.

They could update it tomorrow for all we know.

antseg

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
New Jersey

To be fair, the guide is based on averages from the past not predictions from the future. It's a good tool but should not be used as the end-all.

That being said, the MBP line is probably on the same schedule as everyone (including the guide) has predicted. It'll probably be out in the next month or couple of months. I feel like the story about the MBP line being in production is a bigger allusion to this than is competitors finishing up their Ivy Bridge laptops.

PS - Would rather have Apple be the first one to create a polished product than be the first one to have their product in stores, as has been the Apple way of the past.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
To be fair, the guide is based on averages from the past not predictions from the future. It's a good tool but should not be used as the end-all.

That being said, the MBP line is probably on the same schedule as everyone (including the guide) has predicted. It'll probably be out in the next month or couple of months. I feel like the story about the MBP line being in production is a bigger allusion to this than is competitors finishing up their Ivy Bridge laptops.

PS - Would rather have Apple be the first one to create a polished product than be the first one to have their product in stores, as has been the Apple way of the past.
Well, I see and understand your point. Time will tell though. :)

Xplode35

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
HP already announcing Ivy Bridge laptops.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/18/hp-outd-dv4-dv6-dv7-g4-pavilion-ivy-bridge/

We can take a couple of things from this.
1) Apple is always either leading the pack or not too far behind. Look out for 2012 Macbook Pro announcement soon.
2) Ivy Bridge was supposed to be behind schedule due to supply. Many thought it was because Apple made a large bulk order, but it might have been HP instead. We might be waiting longer.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Unlike Apple. PC makers show off their wares a few months before they release them. Apple just shows them usually a week in advance.

So the term "already announcing" means nothing.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
I think I read in another thread that they will be available to purchase on the 4/8 so it's not that far away. I really hope Apple introduces the new MBP line also in April.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
A bit disappointed to see no CPU clock jump.
Same old 2.3GHz on the Envy.
I'd like to see a higher clock speed on the 2012 MBP atleast.

And cant wait to see Thunderbolt peripherals against the USB 3.0.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
With Lenovo and HP confirmed shipping of their Ivy Bridge laptops in April, it looks like the report of new MacBook Pros in production is true. As we all know, Apple likes getting their new processors in advance. :cool:

Considering the dual-core Ivy Bridge processors are delayed until summer, either Apple has found the way to adequately put a quad-core in the 13-inch, or it will be axed.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
A bit disappointed to see no CPU clock jump.
Same old 2.3GHz on the Envy.

You realize that clock speed is not the only way of improving execution speed, right?

Higher clock = more heat. if they can get the same performance with LOWER clock speed (which is what ivy bridge promises) this is preferable. a 2.5ghz ivy bridge will be faster than 2.5ghz sandy bridge.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
So. If HP has "released Ivy Bridge Notebooks" why can't I get one right now ?

They haven't released them yet. As I said before, I read they're going to be available to purchase on April 8th. It's like saying "If Apple "released the new iPad" why can't I get one right now?" a week ago when in fact all Apple did on March 7th was an introduction of the product that was later available on March 16th.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
They haven't released them yet. As I said before, I read they're going to be available to purchase on April 8th. It's like saying "If Apple "released the new iPad" why can't I get one right now?" a week ago when in fact all Apple did on March 7th was an introduction of the product that was later available on March 16th.

Agh. Gotcha. So HP has "introduced " Ivy Bridge Notebooks not "released" them.

Sorry the title of the thread was confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.