HP s*cks, does not support scanning under 10.5.x ....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mtbdudex, Oct 27, 2008.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Well;

My 4 year old still working HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer never did work under 10.5.x for anything but printing, even then I could not check the ink level.
    HP promised driver updates but never delivered them.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=79477&lang=en

I have a laptop with 10.4.x that I use for scanning/ink levels.

Now that I saw this article I'll try and download to see if this makes the HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer work under 10.5.x on my 11 month old iMac - main computer.

Wow, HP sucks!
    I just see they re-vamped their driver download page for 6100

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01234231&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=219&product=79477

They want you to buy a new product rather than re-code it to work with 10.5.x.

Booooo on HP.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not the first time HP has done this by dropping support for older products, they did it before in a rather large way, and then decided to walk away from the Mac market instead of facing the customers.

Never really trusted them much after they came back ...

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Checking compatibility is something that you have have checked before purchasing Leopard. When you buy a printer you have no guarantee that it will work forever. Your printer was guaranteed to work with what was out at the time. It takes time and ultimately money to provide future support for products. Are you forking any money for future compatibility? In the AiO world of printers, four years is old.

4. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I understand where you are coming from, prior to upgrading to 10.5 HP said they were going to re-write their print drivers (which I assumed to include scanner function) and for the longest time their website mentioned that, I could use the web wayback machine to show their statement. I even signed up to be notified of that update when it was posted. I'd check every week, then every two weeks, then every month. Then, totally un-announced they dropped that "promise".

Not that this post is the place to debate, but for us to be 'greener' as a human race we have to extend the usage of our items, so why just 4 years?
    I'm tired of these short cycles and me paying for the R&D of new-new-new, while the companies make profit-profit-profit with their planned obselence cycles.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's too bad, because the HP 4L that my parents bought with their Gateway p5-75 PC (that's a 75mhz PC running Windows 95) still works with Vista..

Just for comparison's sake :confused:

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

That is a fair and justifiable statement that I agree with.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

It will work with Leopard also. It takes a much more generic driver than the AiO printers do.

8. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have never liked HP printers. I had to get one a while back and set it up with my parents computer. I got it all set up just fine via USB and it work quite nicely. I then went into Print and Fax so that i could share it out over the wireless at home (parents computer connected to the net and i shared out via the built in Airport). Well, low and behold the HP did not support printer sharing. I ended up giving he printer to my sister so that she could use it with the wireless router she had.

I don't buy HP printers, i really only buy Canon equipment.