HP Scanner compatibility with OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Seppentoni, May 2, 2013.

1. Seppentoni macrumors member

Hi.

I have a Canon Scanner (Lide70). The osx drivers for Canon are a big pile of b***s**** so I decided to throw it in the garbage and buy a better one. (The Canon driver creates a new process every few seconds until the ram is full and I have to restart my computer).

I tought about HP Scanners. Does anybody have issues with their drivers? Or do you have any other decent recommendation regarding scanners and osx?

I just need a simple A4 flatbet Scanner.

thanks

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

My Epson Perfection V33 works fine in OSX.

3. Giuly, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Just buy an Epson, Canon or HP multi-funtion printer, their scanners are well supported and work fine. It's also unlikely that you'll find a stand-alone scanner for much less than $60-70 these days. Epson Expression XP-400 or Canon Pixma MG3220 come to mind.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My HP OJ6500 works perfectly fine with my MBP. I use it over the network (the OJ6500 is a network-capable MFP), I spent the better part of 2 hours last weekend scanning some statements that I couldn't acquire electronically and had no issues.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As does my Canon. It might be useful for the OP to describe the problem that he is having.

6. IGregory, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

If you are use to using a scanner in a Windows environment you will be somewhat disappointed using one in the Mac world. That is because you lose the use of Twain drivers on a Mac. I can still do most things on a Mac but some things I cannot do. For example, using Acrobat, on a Windows machine I can create a PDF document and later scan additional pages to that document directly from a scanner. On a Mac, to accomplish this I must attach separate pages as a file to the document. A little more time consuming but I can still get the job done. For me, the things I cannot do are not deal breakers.

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I don't need to do this, using 10.8.3 or 10.6.8 with an HP Officejet J6480 (networked) for quick work that a document feeder is useful for or an EPSON RX680 (USB) for high quality photo scans.

9. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Show me.....I switch over to Mac in Aug. 2012. I have an HP OfficeJet 8600 Pro Plus Printer/Scanner/Copier. I was expecting my scanner and printer to perform similarly to how it perform on Windows. It did not. After doing some research I learned that the problems I was having was due to Mac not having Twain drivers. Don't get me wrong I had to learn the Mac way of doing things and I am completely satisfied with the way my OfficeJet interacts with my Mac. I believe you are incorrect about Macs being Twain compatible. Here's my evidence. I'm not talking about some solution a developer came up with.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

What I meant was that OS X uses Twain to communicate with scanners, your issues is with missing drivers. Even TWAIN-SANE doesn't support it.

Which exact software on a Mac would require TWAIN support? Pretty much all software on a Mac just uses the Image Capture interface.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I tried using an HP B210 All-in-One that came with my wife's iMac. Scanner worked acceptably but the HP software on the Mac sucked royally. Finally gave up on it and bought a Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500. It has worked very well. Only thing I've used the old scanner for was a few pages in a book. Hard to feed a book through the 1500 sheet feeder.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The vast majority of scanners support TWAIN on the Mac. You purchased one that does not. Both of my scanners--a Canon and an Epson--support TWAIN. That said, compared to Image Capture, TWAIN drivers add a scanner UI that look like badly written software from the 1990s. Image Capture is faster and looks ever so much nicer. You might want to look into VueScan. If it works, then pay the license fee.

Another thing: My Epson ships with Epson Scan. It is a front end to Image Capture.

13. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Coldcase & MisterMe

Thank both of you very much for the info. I didn't realize that with a Mac it depends on the scanner. The information both of you provided is very timely as I will be making scanner purchase soon to replace my HP.

OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread topic.

14. Seppentoni thread starter macrumors member

Hi.
    Thanks for your advices. I guess I look into something from Epson. Their products look nice. I guess the driver for my lide 70 doesn't do it anymore with MountainLion.

No Problem ;)