Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Can't decide, but honestly leaning toward the HP. Love my loaded 2012 13" MBP, but looking to improve my screen quality. Reluctant to abandon Apple OS for Windows, but the X360 looks like a real winner to me (laptop/tablet). Any thoughts or opinions?

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Firstly, Windows. I had a Surface and the windows experience on that was terrible. So much wasted space due to updates etc.

Secondly, in regards to the HP, are you really going to use it in tablet mode? It will weigh a lot more compared to a conventional tablet.

I would stick with the rMBP. Once you have tried a Mac trackpad, nothing comes close. Trust me.

Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
What exactly are you looking for?

One is Windows, one is OS X - shouldn't this be obvious to you? No, this isn't an OS X is better dig, but I'm genuinely asking don't you know what you prefer?

They have obvious, apparent differences. What do you want out of a computer? Not enough information given.

Reactions: mrjayviper

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
What exactly are you looking for?

One is Windows, one is OS X - shouldn't this be obvious to you? No, this isn't an OS X is better dig, but I'm genuinely asking don't you know what you prefer?

They have obvious, apparent differences. What do you want out of a computer? Not enough information given.

Not greatly familiar with the latest renditions of Windows, and certainly not with version 10. Don't have good memories of previous Windows versions what with having to defrag all the time, use CCleaner, endure lengthy Windows updates, etc. If that still happens with Windows then I would not be thrilled. I may have already answered my own question, but I just want to make sure of all the details as I will be upgrading. I certainly like the versatility of the HP with the tablet, and touch screen features in addition to having a standard laptop. I have no wariness when it comes to the Mac OS, but I'm still wary of Windows. If there was a Mac hybrid, I wouldn't have any question or qualm.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Not greatly familiar with the latest renditions of Windows, and certainly not with version 10. Don't have good memories of previous Windows versions what with having to defrag all the time, use CCleaner, endure lengthy Windows updates, etc. If that still happens with Windows then I would not be thrilled. I may have already answered my own question, but I just want to make sure of all the details as I will be upgrading. I certainly like the versatility of the HP with the tablet, and touch screen features in addition to having a standard laptop. I have no wariness when it comes to the Mac OS, but I'm still wary of Windows. If there was a Mac hybrid, I wouldn't have any question or qualm.

Sounds like you prefer OS X and the decision is clear, so...? However, if you want raw opinions, then here is mine...

Windows is abysmal, and hopefully Windows 10 resurrects this. Windows XP and Windows 7 were good performance and interface wise, but its still Windows. The amount of updates is horrendous and its a huge buzzkill to see that forsaken icon reveal itself in the notification area. The maintenance is equally cringe worthy. Windows 8 makes me want to catch fire and have cinders embed themselves in my eye sockets before suffering a flame riddled death. It starts up pretty quickly, but I feel like I need medical attention when I go to use it. It makes me question my existence as a human being.

I would only ever go near Windows if it were required by software needs. FYI you can always put Windows on your Mac.

That is all.

Last edited:

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Sounds like so prefer OS X and the decision is clear, so...? However, if you want raw opinions, then here is mine...

Windows is abysmal, and hopefully Windows 10 resurrects this. Windows XP and Windows 7 were good performance and interface wise, but its still Windows. The amount of updates is horrendous and its a huge buzzkill to see that forsaken icon reveal itself in the notification area. The maintenance is equally cringe worthy. Windows 8 makes me want to catch fire and have cinders embed themselves in my eye sockets before suffering a flame riddled death. It starts up pretty quickly, but I feel like I need medical attention when I go to use it. It makes me question my existence as a human being.

I would only ever go near Windows if it were required by software needs. FYI you can always put Windows on your Mac.

That is all.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Well most vendors have good return policies these days, try out the spectre if you don't like it return it an dbuy a mac.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I'd get the HP but I wouldn't be running Windows in fairness though I wouldn't be running OS X on the Mac either.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I used to be decisive, but now I'm not so sure. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both machines are excellent. Yikes.

assisterah

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
I have come across a similar dilemma and happened to just checked out the x360 at Microsoft store today. Here is what I found:

Pros about x360:
X360 has a great build quality. The aluminum finish(not apple style, more rough feel)and the overall design really appealed me. It is actually collaborated between hp and Microsoft to make it optimized. Consider it as a "Microsoft supervised" machine. Plenty of useful ports, no flex, no gaps between panels. The keyboard feels better than the rMBPs and the trackpad is surprisingly good. It's wide rectangular shape just like those one on the nMB. It's a great looking machine with great design on the hardware.

Cons:

The screen bezel is just too wide. Comparing the dell xps 13 next to it and you feel like this is a machine from 2001. It feels like a 11inch screen fiting into a 13 laptop. The screen hinge is also wobbling a lot. Not sure if it's been played by too many people or just a loose hinge though. The black level and gamut is just average for the panel, according to notebookcheck.net(great pro review site check it out btw). The speaker is weak. Really weak. I can barely hear the demo music even tuned the volume to max.

It is an eye catching machine at first glance and people could easily fall for it. But after thoroughly checked it out I knew I would not settle with it after the novelty wore off. To me there is also loads of things I love about OSX and feel more appreciated after using windows 10 for about a month on my desktop. The rendering of the fonts on hidpi screens, the great selection on creativity apps and the consistency of design across the platform.

I hope my reply could at least inspire you on some perspectives. To me it feels like coming home after being lured by a couple cheap and great looking windows laptops. At the end of the day a rMBP is still the machine I go for, just like in 2012 when it first came out.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Went first to the Microsoft Store. Looked at the X360. Concerned about the flopping/shaking screen - hinge anxiety. Still fearful also of past tribulations with updates, cleaners, defrag, etc. with windows. The salesperson showed me alternatives to the X360 - Yoga 3, Surface 3, and even a older Dell Inspiron for half the price. He said ALL of them had the same specs. Apparently, the X360 was nothing special. He didn't care for the X360 and seemed to like the Yoga better. Haven't seen great reviews on the Yoga. They ended up all seeming cheap/flashy looking. Then went to the Mac Store and put my current 2102 13"cMBP right next to the 2015 13" retina. Night and day. My older eyes rested comfortably upon the retina screen. An oasis for my eyes. My wife, who did not like the X360 from the start was really impressed by the retina screen. No brainer. Opted for a 2014 13", refurbished, r MBP with i5, 8gb of ram, and 256 gb SSD. Excellent reviews. About $350 less than the 2015 at the Apple Store, including tax. Finito. No worries anymore. Thanks to those who gave input.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.