HP Slate leaks its way into the wild: 'meh'

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by *LTD*, Apr 19, 2010.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/hp-slate-leaks-its-way-into-the-wild-meh/

HP Slate leaks its way into the wild: 'meh'
    By Nilay Patel posted Apr 19th 2010 3:14PM

We've only ever seen the HP Slate in extremely controlled demonstrations and cheesy videos until now, but it looks like the Windows 7 tablet just spent a little bit of time in the wild -- Conecti.ca's posted up a full hands-on and mini-review. Their conclusion? "The official verdict is meh." Yeah, ouch. Apparently the Slate's biggest strength is also its greatest weakness -- it's essentially a touchscreen netbook, and that means that while it can run everything including Flash, it can be "slow and annoying."

Unfortunately there's not a lot of info on how well HP's TouchSmart Windows 7 skin works, so we'll wait till we play with one before we make a decision, but man -- we definitely weren't expecting this thing to look so chunky in the photos. No wonder the press pics and other demos are so carefully arranged -- it really does look like a chopped up netbook. At least the HDMI dock is somewhat sexy, we suppose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------

So who *didn't* see this coming?

What's really scary is that it looks like HP actually put some effort into this pile of fail.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I love HP computers - great experience with them.

Their touch interfaces are pretty good - for Windows-based machines...

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Agreed. I have a four year old 15" HP laptop that is still as good as the day I bought it. It came with XP Media center and I now have Windows 7 on it and it handles it perfectly.

I wouldn't mind getting the HP slate when it comes out instead of the iPad.

4. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I've had a 15" MBP that would be four years old now. I wouldn't be able to run Snow Leopard on it. That's a fail.

Oh look, who's started this thread! I'm off.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed. Since its running a full blown OS, I'm interested in the slate as well. so far from what I've seen it has features that the ipad doesn't and makes it a viable alternative (depending on the price).

Rumors are swirling that it may have a release date of June

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Me too. Once it gets to a larger screen, I want it to have more functionality. I can understand a trimmed OS for a phone, but not a tablet.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I saw an SD card slot? nice

it probably also has one or two USB, so mice, printer, scanner, external HDD and DVD-Ron are all good, if win7 turn out to be slow (which I dont know), install a Ubuntu Netbook Remix would be fine too.

If it also has handwriting input would be even better.

Maybe when I were to update my Netbook, this would be a valid option, hopefully I can plug it to my TV, since my current netbook is often connected to my TV and used for netflix.

I will hold my decision until I see what Lenovo and Dell have to offer.

NOoo, Dell is offering Android ones, thats a no from me, now lets wait and see Lenovo, Acer