HP Slate leaks its way into the wild: 'meh'

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by *LTD*, Apr 19, 2010.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

Feb 5, 2009

HP Slate leaks its way into the wild: 'meh'
    By Nilay Patel posted Apr 19th 2010 3:14PM

We've only ever seen the HP Slate in extremely controlled demonstrations and cheesy videos until now, but it looks like the Windows 7 tablet just spent a little bit of time in the wild -- Conecti.ca's posted up a full hands-on and mini-review. Their conclusion? "The official verdict is meh." Yeah, ouch. Apparently the Slate's biggest strength is also its greatest weakness -- it's essentially a touchscreen netbook, and that means that while it can run everything including Flash, it can be "slow and annoying."

Unfortunately there's not a lot of info on how well HP's TouchSmart Windows 7 skin works, so we'll wait till we play with one before we make a decision, but man -- we definitely weren't expecting this thing to look so chunky in the photos. No wonder the press pics and other demos are so carefully arranged -- it really does look like a chopped up netbook. At least the HDMI dock is somewhat sexy, we suppose.

So who *didn't* see this coming?

What's really scary is that it looks like HP actually put some effort into this pile of fail.
  2. gkarris macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    I love HP computers - great experience with them.

Their touch interfaces are pretty good - for Windows-based machines...
  3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2008
    Fort Collins Colorado
    Agreed. I have a four year old 15" HP laptop that is still as good as the day I bought it. It came with XP Media center and I now have Windows 7 on it and it handles it perfectly.

I wouldn't mind getting the HP slate when it comes out instead of the iPad.
  4. kernkraft macrumors 68020

Jun 25, 2009

I've had a 15" MBP that would be four years old now. I wouldn't be able to run Snow Leopard on it. That's a fail.

Oh look, who's started this thread! I'm off.
  5. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Agreed. Since its running a full blown OS, I'm interested in the slate as well. so far from what I've seen it has features that the ipad doesn't and makes it a viable alternative (depending on the price).

Rumors are swirling that it may have a release date of June
  6. belvdr macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2005
    Me too. Once it gets to a larger screen, I want it to have more functionality. I can understand a trimmed OS for a phone, but not a tablet.
  7. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    I saw an SD card slot? nice

it probably also has one or two USB, so mice, printer, scanner, external HDD and DVD-Ron are all good, if win7 turn out to be slow (which I dont know), install a Ubuntu Netbook Remix would be fine too.

If it also has handwriting input would be even better.

Maybe when I were to update my Netbook, this would be a valid option, hopefully I can plug it to my TV, since my current netbook is often connected to my TV and used for netflix.

I will hold my decision until I see what Lenovo and Dell have to offer.

NOoo, Dell is offering Android ones, thats a no from me, now lets wait and see Lenovo, Acer