Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
What do you think of this silent fanless i7 laptop with claimed long battery life? 8GB RAM is a bit small.

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
It's stunning and impressive in term of innovation and engineering. This looks like a product Apple could do it they had touch support in macOS. I've been really impressed by HP lately. Their new Zbook Studio x360 is also somewhat unique.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its competing against Apple's MacBook (not MacBook Pro) computers, its a fanless low powered processor (Y-series Intel CPU).
I'm not sold on using leather on the laptop as well, I know HP is taking a chance, but its just not my cup of tea

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I suppose the leather is sort of in response to the Microsoft Surface and its use of Alcantara? The first impression is that it looks a little like the Surface Pro's size with the Surface Go's specs, clad in leather. Though it appears that you can't actually remove the keyboard as you can with the Surface Pro/Go?

Unless you are a huge fan of leather, it seems to have none of the advantages of the Surface Pro imho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Maybe better sound than the Surface Pro, though B&O can lay an egg when it wants to as well.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I suppose the leather is sort of in response to the Microsoft Surface and its use of Alcantara? The first impression is that it looks a little like the Surface Pro's size with the Surface Go's specs, clad in leather. Though it appears that you can't actually remove the keyboard as you can with the Surface Pro/Go?

Unless you are a huge fan of leather, it seems to have none of the advantages of the Surface Pro imho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Maybe better sound than the Surface Pro, though B&O can lay an egg when it wants to as well.

I thought no they have a crazy long advertised battery life.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah, I didn't like that on the Surface either. I just don't think it will wear as well as alu

It definitely won't wear as well as alu. It does clean up well with a little Alcantara cleaner. My Surface Pro still looks good after 1 year, but I have no illusions that it will hold up as well as alu for 4+. I am sure at some point it will begin to look worn. An advantage with the Surface Pro/Go is that you can replace the type cover when it begins to look worn. But with the Laptop or the HP mentioned here, that isn't going to be an option.

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
Holy cow ! Not to troll or anything but...

AUXGvkX.jpg

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Holy cow ! Not to troll or anything but...

AUXGvkX.jpg

Yes, every vegan (that I know) is well aware of the limitations, though a lot of this chart no longer applies with modern manufacturing alternatives.

I can still choose to limit how many animal products I use. And I choose not to use or wear leather products to as much of a degree as I can and buy as many animal-free products as I'm able.

But regardless, I personally am not a vegan. I sometimes eat dairy & eggs and, rarely but on occasion, fish. I just prefer not to use leather. Personal choice. I will try to avoid dead-animal products when possible, that's all.

I'm just surprised at a computer permanently encased in leather...

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm just surprised at a computer permanently encased in leather...

Me as well. I admittedly like leather. I like the look, I like the smell, I like the feel. I would still never buy a computer permanently encased in it. At first I thought it was a removable cover similar to the Surface Pro where it could be replaced if damaged/worn/etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.