HP Stream 14 Quad Core AMD 6400t With Quad Beats Makes Steves Proud

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by camtech, Sep 10, 2014.

1. camtech macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

The new HP Stream 14 with quad core AMD micro-6400t APU, quad Beats Audio speakers, 32GB SSD, 2GB DDR3L, with 14" HD display, 32wh battery allowing up to 6-7 hours operation, with Win 8.1, just started selling for around $299.

Initial reviewers indicate that it has a pretty good built quality and it may have a brushed aluminum alloy deck around an island keyboard with clickable trackpad.

For delivering such a nice quality laptop with good all around multimedia capabilities for a price under $300 would certainly win accolades from Steve Wozniak.

It also runs pretty cool without a fan...and that gets the double thumbs up from Steve Jobs!

(Models available in neon purple, grass green and space silver)

2. Bah-Bah macrumors member

3. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

That would make a fantastic Arch or Gentoo laptop.

4. RianT macrumors member

RianT

What would you do with a 32GB SSD? The OS already takes up about 10GB or so...
    And 2GB aren't enough for Windows anymore. Needs at least 4GB to run smoothly.

5. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

6. scaredpoet, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

[​IMG]

In any case: It's a great Windows 8 netbook-type thing, I guess. Maybe HP is trying to revive the netbook segment? But we've already been down that route. People expected they could buy these really cheap netbooks and use them as real laptops, and then were disappointed when they didn't measure up.

In any case: specs-wise, this isn't even close to being a MacBook Air competitor. It definitely wouldn't make Steve Jobs proud, seeing as he spent most of the iPad keynote discussing how computers in this segment didn't do anything well. As for Woz, maybe if it was running Arch or something.

7. camtech thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a new tech called Wimboot that compresses the OS for tablets/laptops so that a user with a 32GB SSD would have around 24 to 26 GB free. The bottom link has more info on Wimboot.

Other options are storage drives through USB3 and 100GB online.

With Win 8.1, memory as small as 2GB is used efficiently so that is sufficient for basic apps along with full array of web/online use. This is the first model Stream laptop and others with greater capability are coming.

http://www.eweek.com/storage/microsofts-wimboot-trims-windows-tablet-storage-requirements.html

8. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

But it's running Windows.
    And,

I'm not sure how this relates to the MacBook Air anyways? The Macbook Air is far superior; but it's not even in the same class. I will say that it's probably a good deal hardware-wise. But it's not really going to be a great experience. Oh, and it's running Windows.

9. RianT macrumors member

RianT

I think it's either an insanely misguided targeted ad, or some trolling attempt...

10. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Now that I think about it, I forgot that he's a newbie and I didn't even read the entirety of his post. It's definitely an ad.

Requesting mod deletion!

11. camtech thread starter macrumors newbie

They didn't measure up because most of them were based on slug Atoms, but this laptop probably has the fastest all around quad core APU in the Chromebook/netbook/lightlap ($200 to $350) price range.

Coupled with a mini SSD and option of online/offline storage and you have a more viable laptop replacement. For people who tire of the limits and the weight of tablet may switch too.

Agree to disagree, but this IS the kind of laptop that both Steves would endorse!

A) HP was where Woz got his start and where both Woz and Jobs offered their first colorful multimedia Apple computer.

B) Woz loves tech that is designed right and tight and wanted tech priced that most people could afford.

C) Jobs of course would replace the OS with a light OS for the AMD Jaguar/Puma X86, but once he did that he would be showing it off to everyone.

Everyone in the Macbook forums who have had to deal with annoying noisy fans, cleaning dustballs and furballs out of vents, and laptops that felt like hot irons on their laps would appreciate a cool silent alternative that allows the user to concentrate on their work or entertainment.

Consumer paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for technology should actually be able to fully enjoy their purchase without compromise.

With the HP Stream, everyone can now sit on the train, bus or at the airport or up in bed with a cool laptop that they can fully enjoy.

Yes, both Steves would applaud the HP Stream 14!

12. joshlalonde, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Do you even use a MacBook Air?
    I have yet to clean my vents and the laptop runs cooly on my lap. And the fan doesn't run high unless I'm gaming.

It's not something you post in the MacBook Air section dude. This is for talking about MBA's. That 'alternative' is not gain, but loss. Less disk space, different OS/ecosystem, less configurations, worse CPU. The only thing good about it is that it's cheap. But there's a reason why. The MBA performance is obviously better.

Go post in general forums or something, kid. Your statements are unfounded and unreasonable.

Edit: re-reading your post just makes me angry. It's a load of foolishness.
    I use my laptop all the time. And I don't even need a plug. The battery is insane.
    It runs silent (you have to hold your ear up to the computer to hear the fan which runs at a low RPM) and is generally cool to the touch. In fact, it feels cold because metal conducts heat faster than rubber/plastic so heat escapes from your hands faster. Just an advantage of a metal body. Also, the heat is evenly distributed because of its metal body.

I paid $1,300 with taxes. I have gotten more than my money's worth for this device. It does everything and anything I could have ever hoped for out of a computer. Even for programming, having built-in C++ compilers is amazing. Ebooks, notes, gaming, Skype, internet/videos, work, documents... it literally has replaced even my tablet. Its light enough and runs a lot faster than my laptop.

Compared to equivalent (in terms of hardware and price) PC's, it's got the best specs and the best price.
    SP3 and Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro cost $100 more AND they have worse specs (4400HD, less battery life) except for the screen. But even the screen is quite good, hi-res or not.

Best purchase I have ever made.
    Steve Jobs would definitely approve of the MacBook Air. Duh?
    Anyways, he's dead. So quit making outrageous statements and research before you troll.
    I can't believe I fell for the bait. Just had to get that out.

Requesting mod deletion/move thread/review!

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Great. And back in the Atom days, those were the best/fastest chips you could get within that price range, too. That still didn't make them any good.

First off, are you just cutting and pasting off marketing copy? It sure seems like it.

As for the "mini SSD," which is really just marketing speak for "cheap and small:" With an install of Windows 8.1 and your apps, see how much of that space you have left. I doubt most users will be happy with it. Also, what's the throughout of that SSD? Write/erase longevity? Will it last me longer than a year?

As for "online/offline storage," Yeah, that's called "internet access." Why is this a selling point? What laptop purchased within the last ten years, of any brand or model, lacks "online/offline storage" capability?

Woz is still alive... so why isn't he touting how great this thing is? I'll tell you why: because it's just another cheap sub-laptop.

HP also rejected the idea, and thus Apple was born. Not to mention, the HP of the mid to late 1970s has very little to do with the HP of today, and absolutely nothing to do with why this model merits any endorsement from any Apple employee, past or present.

The specs alone make it pretty clear that the designers of this model are making the same mistakes of the netbook era. It's designed for people who are trying to get a laptop on the cheap, and aren't caring (at the point of purchase) if it's any good.

Really? You're going toe peak for a dead person you've never met?

Can you point to some recent threads in the MBA forum where any of the above has been a complaint?

But we're not paying hundreds of thousands of dollars. The base model MBA doesn't even cost *one* thousand dollars and is a far better purchase than this HP subnetbook.

14. ha1o2surfer, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

You're right, 2GB is plenty for Windows. I Run lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, Preimer (x86 version), Chrome, I play Blackops 2 and skyrim all on my Venue Pro 8 no problem. Not at the same time but never had it start to swap is what I'm saying. And WIMBoot is so nice.. well done Microsoft.

A quad core Atom is much more powerful than everyone thinks, I get 103 in LuxMark and my co-worker with his 2012 Macbook Pro with a 650 and a 3740QM gets 423.... And my tablet uses less than 2 watts from the wall while his laptop is screaming like a jet engine. At least I don't throttle to half my performance ;) hehe ok ok all aside, It's a great CPU and is perfectly usable for more than just "web browsing" in fact, I'm watching the digitalattackmap.com on my iPad mini and it can't even display the animations without locking up while my 8 inch tablet is smooth.

Way off topic haha sorry guys