HP To Offer iPod mini and iPod shuffle

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to electronics site Engadget.com, HP is expected to release rebadged versions of both the iPod mini and iPod shuffle by June 12. If that date is missed, the next expected release date is July 3.

Both devices should be the same as current offerings from Apple, with the HP logo attached in similar fashion to the current Apple iPod from HP (and new iPod photo).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if it sells more iPods cool

haha i wonder what would happen if apple let HP sell re-branded Macs....

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Good for apple but, I really didn't want them to touch our mini. Oh well lets just hope they don't do any thing crazy to it.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
ImAlwaysRight said:
I don't get how HP can sell the iPod. Does Apple allow this? Does Apple want this? :confused:
Ah yes Apple wanted this. Its a totally mutual agreement. At one stage it was rumored HP would turn them blue to suit their colour scheme more, but that didnt materialise. Then it wasn't going ahead and was to be stopped as Apple weren't giving HP enough iPods and then sales were slow.

Who knows how well it really does and what other hidden gains both sides get, apart from the extra sales and advertisement etc.

I think it may have something to do with a return to HP from preinstalling iTunes on all their machines (and thus making it the default player over windows media player). This has seemed vital in certain areas, and kinda gets one over on Dell!! Do they have their own iPod??!! (or a successful ipodkiller??!!) ...If u can't beat the iPod, join it!!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ImAlwaysRight said:
I don't get how HP can sell the iPod. Does Apple allow this? Does Apple want this? :confused:

Apple wants this, it allows them to use HP's huge ditribution network and allows the iPod to reach a wider audience, while HP doesnt have to worry about having a flop of an MP3 Player

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
PlaceofDis said:

Interesting point!! :)

But I doubt it!!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Gil_Grissom said:
Interesting point!! :)

But I doubt it!!
i doubt it as well, but just think about it, the computer is the same, same OS still, but its sold through HP and is marketed by HP, i just wonder if that would expand Apple marketshare...

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
re: HP iPod

PlaceofDis said:
Apple wants this, it allows them to use HP's huge ditribution network and allows the iPod to reach a wider audience, while HP doesnt have to worry about having a flop of an MP3 Player
Wider audience? How?

The estimates I've read say that HP has about a 3% contribution to the iPod market. That's not very big, really.

You can buy iPods are everywhere.

The only channel I can think of that HP has access to and Apple doesn't is Wal-Mart. That would change, if Apple wanted it to.

<shrug>

Maybe it's a convenient way to remove a potential competitor from the market...and show that there is a licensee for both the iPod and iTMS.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
PlaceofDis said:

I was thinking that when i read the title. Just imagine buying a mac only its not a Mac..... :rolleyes:
Do you think apple will ever sells HP computers. and have them in the stores and have them crash all the time so people will buy Macs.... ;)

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I still don't get this. Apple is already the Mercedes of hardware. What the hell is putting an HP label on it going to do?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MacsRgr8 said:
Hmm....

Any idea how well the HP iPods sell?
At the end of last (calendar) year, HP was believed to be responsible for about 7% of iPod sales, not too shabby really. I haven't seen newer numbers, only some predictions that by now if would be lower since HP haven't picked up any of the newer models.

BanditBill

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
Bundle it

Hopefully HP bundles the iPods with their computer with an iPod Dock.

I wish Apple would do the same with the Mac Mini and put out a dock model (that still looks good).

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
bdkennedy1 said:
I still don't get this. Apple is already the Mercedes of hardware. What the hell is putting an HP label on it going to do?
Could be a matter of reaching into the PC market more. If you think about it in one sense HP could help sign their death warrant by doing this if the ipod "halo effect" realy does begin to damage PC sales (but thats an arguement on its own!). I think theres much more behind it than iPods here. iPods, iTunes & iTMS, halo effects, expanded markets, etc etc...the list could go on.

True Apple can be seen as the mercedes of hardware (i like the analigy!!!) but some people don't like mercedes!!..they prefer BMW, or Audi!!...enter HP!!

Better HP than Dell I say!!

Someone raised a good point when they said that it means one less competitor to Apple. If you can stop your enemy eating away your sales great, if u can turn them into your allie and make them cotnribute to your success thats one hell of a business achievement!!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
eh personnally I look at it like this

"Average normal PC user walks into megastoreX and is looking at iPods. He see's the apple iPod and thinks "oh wait, is this compatible with my system?" then he see's the HP iPod and is like "well I have an HP printer so I KNOW this one is compatible"

Of cource this is a very ignorant thought process but there are alot of PC users who still think Mac's arean't compatible at all.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
This could be a good thing to help get shuffles into the hands of the Wal-Mart WMA flash player buying public. At the local Wal-Mart here they already have the regualr HP iPod and sell a lot of accessories.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
bdkennedy1 said:

basically nothing, just let it keep goin, if hp wants to slap thier logo on em and sell em let em go for it, not like its selling any better than the reg ipods.

tamtam

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2004
I don't see how they came up with a marketing plan on this to make a profit or generate market share.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I've heard that the HP iPod has a better warranty and better tech support than Apple has. Is that true? If so, it should still work fine on a Mac even though I have to download the software(software update wanted to install it any way even before I had an iPod) instead of install from the disk.