Hp touchpad keyboard vs Apple wireless keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by waloshin, Aug 25, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Hp touchpad keyboard vs Apple wireless keyboard for the Hp touchpad?

I believe the hp keyboard is $10 cheaper but is plastic.

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

There are SO many alternatives to the Apple Wireless Keyboard, some of which are considerably cheaper and equivalent or even superior, I'd say this is a rather limited view of alternatives. For example...

() Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard. ($32)
    () Targus bluetooth keyboard for iPad ($44).

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Apple keyboard, so when you get an iPad it'll work.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Because someone on MR will send me one? :)

----------

How about the Motorola XOOM/ Atrix keyboard?

5. reiichiroh macrumors regular

the battery compartment and power switch on the hp keyboard are inferior to the build quality of the apple keyboard but it was only $35 on clearout.

i have all 3: ipad 2 + ipad 1 and touchpad and the touchpad is definitely inferior.

6. cynicgirl macrumors newbie

HP touchpad not compatible w/ iPad bluetooth keyboard

My husband and I were lucky enough to snag an HP touchpad for less than $100. However, I find that it isn't very useful for school-related tasks without a keyboard so yesterday we purchased a Vivitar iPad portfolio case with wireless bluetooth keyboard--for just $39.99.

The HP touchpad fits in the case great, and it is exactly what I was looking for BUT I can't get the HP to accept the keyboard. Although the keyboard appears when searched for in bluetooth, the touchpad absolutely refuses to connect to the keyboard. Some seem to think this is due to something HP has done to force people to buy only its keyboards. Is this so? Does anyone have any ideas about how to make the touchpad recognize the Vivitar iPad keyboard? It would be a shame to have to buy something of lesser quality and function...

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

i haven't seen a keyboard superior to apple's yet. the design is outstanding, and i've gotten an incredible amount of use out of it for two years now without an issue.

i wish apple would produce a collapsible keyboard. i don't want it to be plastic and poorly designed like all of the others i have looked at over the years, though.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I have the Apple Wireless Keyboard and it's great for when I'm typing for a long time on the iPad, I actually typed 90% of my uni assignment on it when I couldn't find my MacBook Pro charger.

I use it with the Incase Origami Workstation.

[​IMG]

9. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Bought one of those ipad1 apple keyboards with a portrait connection port.
    However I can't get It to work, as I use ios 5 in English ..... But because the keyboard is in swedish ... Nothing allows me to get it to work in settings.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

that's too bad. it sounds like you are stuck in a beta issue if you are using ios5.

11. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I like the AWK, as well, and use one with the Origami Workstation. I have to say, though, that the slightly wider, ergonomically curved Microsoft 6000 bluetooth keyboard has some advantages for extended typing sessions by keeping the wrists in a natural position. It doesn't have the aluminum body of the AWK but I've used and abused mine for a couple of years of travel with my laptop and it functions exactly as it did on day one. And at less than half the price of the AWK it's a tempting choice (unless you use the Origami Workstation which works only with the AWK.)

I'm also intrigued by the new folding keyboard for the iPad 2 from Logitech. It's pricey at $130 but for those for whom a full size keyboard is a major advantage, it's the only one portable version designed specifically for the iPad on the market, AFAIK. Durability is another question, of course. I share your dislike for the folding keyboards I've seen in the past on that score. Hopefully Logitech is concerned enough about their reputation for good keyboards to have taken that into account.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/fold-up-keyboard-ipad

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

i also use the origami keyboard case, and i've been quite pleased with it. but, the logitech one looks really cool. what a great concept.

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

The only thing I wish for the Apple Wireless Keyboard is that it was backlit. I know this might affect the battery life quite a bit but I think I could deal with that in exchange for backlit keys.

14. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I understand why you'd like to have backlit keys but it would KILL battery life. Other than a fan there is nothing that kills a battery faster than using it for illumination. Furthermore, the AWK turns off when it isn't being used for longer than a short time. Unless this feature were disabled, the backlighting would blink on and off on a regular basis. In other words, be careful what you wish for. :D

P.S. You do make a valid point about the color of the keys, though. My Microsoft keyboard has black keys with white lettering, the reverse of the AWK. And in fact, it's easier to use in dim light. Never really noticed that before since I almost never use either keyboard in a dark room.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

Totally uninterested in backlit. Great for my MBP, no need for it with my portable keyboard. That's just me, though.

16. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

It's the return of the Butterfly!

http://youtu.be/478hsrVjVQk

17. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Doesn't look like it supports portrait orientation though, and that's a big advantage to the AWS/Origami combo--it's easily used in either orientation, and switch it on the fly if you want to. The other advantage, of course, is that the pieces are separate, so I don't have to deal with the additional weight of the keyboard when all I'm doing is something like reading.

Curiosity question: do other keyboards support the brightness and volume functions the way the (non Lion version) AWS does? Or do you lose that going to a third party setup?

18. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I agree that the AWS/OW combo's ability to support the iPad in either orientation is a great feature that few other solutions match. Likewise as far as the separation between the keyboard and the iPad. When I don't need a keyboard I use my "Wedge-E". :D

As far as brightness and volume is concerned, I believe that all of them support those features. Some even support iPad specific keys such as "Home," a feature that even the AWK does not support.

Worth noting, by the way, that the latest model of the AWK (the "/B" version) now being sold by Apple does NOT support brightness and volume. The keyboard was changed to conform to Lion's requirements and in the process messed up support for the iPad. Some buyers have managed to snag a "/A" version but only by luck.

19. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Just wanted to jump in and state that the HP Touchpad keyboard is amazing. I picked it up for $40 at Bestbuy, so almost half the price of the Apple keyboard, and it matches my black iPad and black HP monitor perfectly.

Works with both my Mac Mini and my iPad, pairs quickly, and keys have the perfect depth to them. I was a bit nervous when I ordered, but I am quite pleased with how this is working out. Audio buttons work, the special HP function key works as the special Apple key, etc. - only thing that doesn't work is the screen brightness and dim buttons, but I'm not sure if that works on the Mac Mini anyways.

20. Nathan21585 macrumors member

No I have read reports that people have been successful pairing iPad keyboards to the Touchpad. Not sure if all of them can but I do know some have.