HP w2338h VS Dell SP2309W

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pmkoch, Oct 29, 2009.

1. pmkoch macrumors regular

I have been researching for a couple weeks on which monitor to get and have narrowed it down to these 2. I was initially set on the HP w2338h because of the price, but then today the SP2309W popped up on the Dell Outlet store. The prices are just about the same so now it is down to which monitor has the better image quality. Has anyone compared these side by side? I will mostly be using it for web design and documentation with occasional movies running hooked up to my MacBook Pro.

HP w2338h Refurb - $199 via Costco (1 year warranty)
    Dell SP2309H Refurb - $229 via Dell Outlet (3 year warranty)

The Dell is an editor's favorite on CNET, but they haven't review the HP yet so I don't know how they compare.

TIA

2. pmkoch thread starter macrumors regular

Nobody has any input on either of these displays?

3. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I have the HP hooked up to my MacBook and I absolutely love it! I'm not picky by no means - I don't use it for any type of graphics work, so I'm not sure how it would look to someone who does, but for the average user I'd say it's excellent. I use it to watch high-def movies from iTunes and they look great on it. In fact I like it so much, I'm going to be buying a Mac mini soon so that I can still use the monitor all the time (for movie and Eyetv watching and such) while still being able to use my laptop as a normal laptop.

For the price it's definitely a great monitor. It's also very sleek looking and looks nice and stylish on the desk, unlike lots of other large monitors which can look sorta fugly sometimes.

I'm not familiar with the Dell monitor - sorry!! - but I know the HP has been discussed around here before, in fact that's where I first heard about it. Give it a search, you'll probably find lots of helpful info :)

4. pmkoch thread starter macrumors regular

Do any of you with the w2338h use the HDMI? I was reading reviews and someone said that a black 'frame' shows up when using HDMI and that the manufacturer told him that was how it is supposed to be. Can anyone confirm this?