HP webcam can't see black people

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A "racist" webcam. :D Actually, that is pretty funny.

Of course, HP is right about contrast being the problem. The lower the camera's ability to see contrast -- and webcams usually rate pretty low in that regard -- the more it tends to have problems with darker-skinned people.

And you can actually have the same problem with white people. Just ask anyone who's ever tried to shoot video of someone standing in front of a window on a sunny day.

In fact, talking of background, I'd bet Cryer would have been "seen" by the camera better if the two of them had been standing against a darker background...say, a medium-to-dark blue or gray wall. The camera would've irised up a bit, enabling it to pick up more detail. As it is, it looks like the two of them are standing in front of not only a pale wall, but a fluorescent lighting fixture as well.

[​IMG]

2. gretafour macrumors regular

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh that is pretty funny. Webcams, they are a bit shyte, aren't they? :D

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Reminds me of the only episode of "Better Off Ted" that I watched. A very funny episode centered around a similar problem with motion detectors. Some of the characters unwillingly discover a glitch in the newly installed sensor system that opens doors/turns on lights when a person is near. Well, the company execs try half-witted and racially insensitive solutions instead of replacing the system.

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

That is funny. :D I'm almost waiting for people in the public to start complaining that HP is racist (once/if this hits mainstream news). :rolleyes:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, so in this image, the black face is harder to track because it has less contrast with the nearly saturated background? I feel like I'm missing something. Or is it that his skin color is so similar to his shirt? But his shirt moves too.

I would've guessed he would be easier to track.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While motion of the darker skin would be easier to track the software does not do that. It tracks faces and to do that it looks for difference in contract between the eyes and the cheeks and nose. The area around the eyes will be darker than the cheeks and the nose. Problem is with the light background the camera is letting in less light so it is having trouble telling the difference between the dark skin and even darker area around the eyes

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, interesting. So that's how it identifies a face versus some other moving object? Cuz, you know, sometimes there are juggling basketballs behind me while I'm on webcam. :D Fascinating stuff.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, that was my big laugh for the day.

11. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

"HP does not care about black people"
    -Kanye

"yo, Mark (HP CEO) ima let you finish, but dell had the best webcams of the year"
    -Kanye

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not if we keep mentioning it. ;)

"I'M SOOOOO SORRY TO Cryer AND White Girl FOR screwing up THE face recognition. I SPOKE TO White Girl RIGHT AFTER. Cryer IS VERY upset !!........... I'M IN THE WRONG FOR not recognising low-contrast AND disappointing y'all!!!!!!!! I'M SORRY TO MY FANS IF I LET YOU GUYS DOWN!!!!! I'M SORRY TO MY FRIENDS AT HP. I WILL APOLOGIZE TO Cryer 2MRW. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!!!! EVERYBODY WANNA BOOOOO ME BUT I'M A FAN OF black faces!!! Y'all KNOW!!! BOOOOYAAAWWWWW!!!!!! Wikki-wikki-what!?! I GAVE MY apology TO Taylor Swift WHEN THEY DESERVED IT... THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT CRAZY YALL, I'M JUST BEING REAL. SORRY FOR THAT!!!MUCH RESPECT!!!!!

Today"

Uh huh.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And to add the Katrina reference...

[​IMG]

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

No link to the video??

Ah here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DT3tQqgRM

What I learned from watching that video: All black men should wear bright red lipstick so that cameras can recognise them more easily.

Make it so.

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

LOL that guy was awesomely funny! "My blackness" :D:D:p

17. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

That was really funny.I cannot believe some of the posts from trolls on the Youtube message boards though.

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I know! Its like living in 1890! The most raciest stuff I have ever seen.

19. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

20. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

I think that computer needs to be packed up in the car and taken to race sensitivity training. It surely has a bad attitude!

21. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That's mildly entertaining. Probably fixed easily though.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Funny video.

What's even more funny, is that I have two friends who are similar to them. I did a double take at first.

On a side note, the Sony building in Ginza (Tokyo) has different displays each month. A few months ago, they had face recognition camera demos. The cameras tracked some individuals better than others. For some it was instantaneous. But for others, it would take a while to "see" them. Not quite as bad as HP, but still there were issues.

I guess typical face recognition software is not up to Hollywood standards. :rolleyes:

23. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Good one. Although I live in hope for the day they invent a cop gun without automatic face tracking for minorities.

24. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

Dude that's so funny, I can't hardly stand it. Please, stop, stop, no more.

25. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I've taken a computer vision class and I'll say that the fix might be rather hard, actually. The problem comes that webcams are noisy, low resolution, and have low contrast.

P-Worm