Hp workstations better deal than macpro or macbook pro's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnsy, Feb 27, 2012.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

Looks like HP came up with some very good apple alternatives. What do you think?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I looked at that HP web site and 192 GB of RAM and 14 TB of storage sure is impressive. I just haven't had personal good experiences with HP so I'd have to stick with my tried and true Apple gear.

If Apple were to suddenly allow clones, I'd be more excited about Lenovo hardware than HP.

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

Different class of computers ;) The elitebook and their desktops are geared to another group than apple's products. If you're just going to use web browsing, get a mac, its far nicer to look at and use, but if you need to use CAD or 3D rendering, get an HP ;)

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As someone who supports HP workstations (and many other workstations and servers) for a living I'm not impressed.

HP has quite a high fail rate. Not near as bad as they used to be mind you but I wouldn't be swapping my Mac for one anytime soon.

As much as it pains me to say this I'd pick a...*cough* Dell workstation over an HP.

5. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

lol. my girlfriend has an HP laptop and it constantly going mental with the fan and rattling noises over light tasks. It hasn't broken down yet but the one thing I truly dislike is the HP software assistant stuff. Such bloated crap.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Agreed. While we don't use their workstations, we recently had to switch from Lenovo Thinkpads to Elitebooks (due to Lenovo being unable to supply the volume our company requires), and I must say that the failure rate of the Elitebooks makes me feel like their "business" class hardware is no better than their Consumer grade/class. I held off upgrading to an Elitebook from my trusty Lenovo T61 until the fan started to go. I'm on my 3rd Elitebook in 6 months and my Lenovo lasted 4+ years.