Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sclubone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2015
I've had no issues getting a perfect picture with my Apple USB-C HDMI AV adapter connected to a Dell 2515H monitor at 2560x1440, however have tried the same with a HP zr2740w monitor, with an HDMI lead connected to DVI and the picture is covered in red, green, and blue speckles even though the resolution is achieved.

The picture is usable but certainly imperfect, and doesn't change in quality even at lower screen resolutions.

I have tried other HDMI to DVI cables (including quality DVI-D cable), and the result is the same. I tried an HDMI to Displayport cable, but no signal was received by the monitor and this resulted in a black screen. I have also tried different refresh rates through QuickResX but still no difference.

The latest 10.10.4 version of OS X claimed to fix some monitor issues, but has't changed a thing.

It looks like I'll have to wait until a proper USB-C displayport adapter (i.e. one that allows charging) arrives, or are there any other solutions worth trying?

Attachments

• IMG_3467.JPG
    IMG_3467.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 392

iscajal

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Same issue for me. I've tried two HDMI/dp adapters. Resolution/refresh rate is fine, except for RGB sparkles just the same as if the DVI cable were broken.

Panel is a HP ZR30w.

gernot.kogler

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
I've had no issues getting a perfect picture with my Apple USB-C HDMI AV adapter connected to a Dell 2515H monitor at 2560x1440, however have tried the same with a HP zr2740w monitor, with an HDMI lead connected to DVI and the picture is covered in red, green, and blue speckles even though the resolution is achieved.

The picture is usable but certainly imperfect, and doesn't change in quality even at lower screen resolutions.

I have tried other HDMI to DVI cables (including quality DVI-D cable), and the result is the same. I tried an HDMI to Displayport cable, but no signal was received by the monitor and this resulted in a black screen. I have also tried different refresh rates through QuickResX but still no difference.

The latest 10.10.4 version of OS X claimed to fix some monitor issues, but has't changed a thing.

It looks like I'll have to wait until a proper USB-C displayport adapter (i.e. one that allows charging) arrives, or are there any other solutions worth trying?

May I ask how you managed to select the 2560x1440 resolution for the Dell? I have a 2715H and the maximum resolution I see is 2048x1152.

Thanks!

funkyfresh69

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I have even tried creating display override files for the Dell 27H15 for El Capitan to see if I can get 2560x..

But no joy.

I guess the kext(s) are the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.