HPLJ3150 help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacHiavelli, Feb 19, 2008.

1. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Hi

I have a HPLJ3150 printer attached to a PC running XP Pro.

I have an iMac running Leopard and want to be able to print to the HPLJ3150 but when I try to add it as a printer (attached to a Windows workgroup), there's no Mac driver for it and I can't find one on the net. It defaults to generic postscript printer. If I print to that, I get pages of garbage for what should be a single page of text. So the Mac can see and send commands to the printer, but it can't find the right driver/use the XP machine to handle the printing for it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mac

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If a driver isn't available for mac then I'd suggest sorting a remote desktop type ability to the pc from the mac as a temporary solution, or use a shared drive / usb stick to move the files you want to print over.

I had a look on the HP site and it seems they only support Windows drivers, you may well be stuck with not being able to print directly from an os x machine.

3. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Thanks AndyK ... I was hoping there would be a way to get it to print, but maybe it is just too old. Never mind. Appreciate your help. I had looked on the HP site as well and drawn a blank. Was hoping someone in here would have a wizard idea. C'est la vie. Time to get a new printer I think.

Have a good one.

Cheers

Mac

4. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

You can pick up really cheap printers these days, especially if you only use it for document printing.

I'd recommend getting a cheap printer server too (wireless) and a cheap £10 wireless card for your desktop. Then you don't have to bother with all the messy business of printer sharing, can keep your printer where ever you want in the house (it's not dependent on being next to your pc). Plus it means you can still print if your pc is off / out of action.

5. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

That sounds like a good idea. The desktop already has a wireless connection, so I just need a printer server. I'll have a look around.

6. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli