HP's new ZR2740w

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by auero, Sep 14, 2011.

1. auero, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

auero macrumors 65816

Just read about HP's new 2560 x 1440 IPS display thats on sale for $729.

Right now this is looking like the cheapest option for a 2560 x 1440 monitor.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/14/hp-goes-display-crazy-unveils-eight-new-models-four-ips-panels/

Hopefully some reviews will be coming out soon to get an idea of how well this performs. It's too bad though that it doesn't have thunderbolt support for daisy chaining. I'd love this for my MBP. The HP's zr30w model had some pretty great reviews so I don't expect anything worse.

Edit: the original article was incorrect, its shipping now.

2. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

yes, i saw those on engadget also..

I'm sure it will be a great high end IPS monitor..

but for not much more, you get thunderbolt, webcam, and incredible industrial design...im still leaning towards the TB display

3. Works4Me macrumors regular

I'd lean toward the Apple Display were it not for the glossy screen. I wonder what the coating on the HP is like...

4. Tom Sawyer, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I'm with you on the ACD, they are gorgeous and build quality second to none. But having had a 27" iMac, I just can't do the glossy screen. I loved the machine, but the glossy glass was the reason I sold it.

I'm about to order the HP so I'll definitely report back with a 'full review'. :)

FWIW: $680 Shipped.

ZR2740

5. crashnburn macrumors 6502

6. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Had an issue with the Costcentral order (not their issue, google checkout/billing) so waiting for an Amazon credit to come through and will be ordering it through them.

Hopefully will have it in another week or 2.

7. toxic macrumors 68000

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for posting this review... much more thorough than anything I would have posted here!

9. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

She's ordered... should have it in a couple days. I will post a summary of my impressions.

10. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Got the HP today, and all I can say is WOW!!!

I've not thrown any calibration at it yet, but I will say that it looks absolutely amazing out of the box. I did drop the brightness down as it came pretty much maxed out brightness wise (BRIGHT!), but past that, it's a winner so far. I'll bring home a calibration system from work soon and get it dialed in, but first impressions are excellent. As the review mentioned, the fact that it has no onscreen display is a little odd but not the end of the world. It certainly is not as sexy as the 27" ACD, but with a bright window about 5 feet behind me (at an angle), the AG is fantastic.

Speaking of which, the AG coating is there but to my eyes does not seem hyper-agressive by any means. The Asus TN panel I replaced was certainly heavier handed in that area.

It's a beast for sure, but my monitor arm has no problem with it. Not much to speak of in the input area with only DVI and display port, but those are the important ones. I've got a mini display port to display port cable that I'm glad I held on from my Mac Pro days, I'm sure some future graphics card upgrade will have a mini display port.

I'll post more later, but for the price I'm not sure how this could be beat. I really missed having a large screen!

11. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Buy.com has it for $669.49 shipped. Seems to be the best price out there.

12. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

That's where mine came from. Amazing deal for sure!

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Great price on a great monitor. Much more consistent quality than Dell, not as much of that hazy anti-glare coating, and much better service and support as this is considered a business class monitor. Not as many ports as the Dell though. Plus you can get it cheaper with free shipping and no tax.
    I still prefer the Thunderbolt ACD which I use with Gigabit ethernet, FW 800, USB devices and soon TB drives all over one cable to my Air. But if price is an issue this is the way to go.

Cost Central has it for $653. Lowest price I could find but I've never ordered anything from them.

14. Ashok0 macrumors regular

How is the AG coating on the HP compared to the DELL U2711?

15. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I've not seen the U2711 so I can't answer that. But I will say that it's there, but I do not find it annoying. There is a little of that glimmer look on white backgrounds, but it is certainly not as annoying as looking at my reflection in the screen!! :)