HQ Trivia Lays Off Staff and Pivots to $9.99/Month Subscription Model for HQ Words

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 5, 2019.

1. jeblis macrumors regular

I tried it once. Glitched out and was done. Part of the problem is most people lost due to technical errors. Even if they won something, near impossible to cash out. Fun host, like trivia, hate the crap. Also anything online that gives money will shortly be dominated by cheats.

2. rols macrumors 6502a

$9.99 a month, wow. Don't see these guys lasting too much longer. The subscription model world is getting crowded very quickly now and I feel consumer opposition building. It starts by not paying 10 bucks a month for a game they used to play for free, it ends when people start budgeting $50 a month for recurring expenses and pick the 5 they care about most. Byebye Adobe, you had a good run, sorry HQ, you missed the party.
    I do hope whatever replaces it isn't worse.

3. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

That could be true generally, and yes I did forget about it. But their marketing sucked. I have multiple jobs and I’m not always free at noon and 6 PM pacific time. At one time I would get message reminders before the show began (at first the reminders would arrive late meaning I couldn’t even play). Even before we came into the so-called short attention span era, the broadcast and cable networks have always shown promos reminding you to watch.

4. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

They also got super aggressive concerning how many notifications they would send as reminders for the upcoming game. One a day would have been ok with me but they started sending much more than that.

5. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

I mean, if people wanted to answer random questions for free they could just join subreddit that gets a lot of questions...

6. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Here is Apple Arcade: $9.99/mo for a selection of games. (Could be more expensive. I just put a number here for the sake of having a price to talk with)
    From the face value Apple Arcade is cheaper, but we still need to see how well those games actually are.

7. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Wait... please wait. $10/mo to play a trivia game? Great business model. These guys should buy out MovieTime and get rekt.

8. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

This looks like a SAVAGE layoff.

Time for the Quemero, Numero, One to leave if the company is in this much trouble.

Okay, that's all I have.

I haven't played since Scott left. #NotMyQuizDaddy

10. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

That's what the payouts are now, but if hardly anyone subscribes to play...payouts could increase dramatically, at least in theory.

11. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

Tried it. It was terrible. Questions were vague, and if there's anything trivia people hate, it's getting two answers that could be justifiable. That, and if I recall, it was FB login. Forget that...

12. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

It's not a requirement to log in with Facebook. I would never have played if it was.