HR Issues Holding Rails on Cardio Machines

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by clerkp, Jan 19, 2017.

1. clerkp macrumors newbie

I've found that my HR does not work properly if I am using any equipment that requires me to hold handles such as a stairmaster or elliptical. The HR will either go out entirely, show as too low (90 or so) or too high (190 or so). I'd say that for any 30 minute workout, 15 minutes will be one of these 3 things and the other 15 will be accurate. I contacted apple support and they had me reset and recalibrate. All that did was drastically change the calorie burn computations (50% lower now) than they were before. Did not do anything for the HR sensor. Trying to figure out if this is a defect or common.

Thanks.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

It's possible that gripping the handles makes the blood flow in your wrist go a little wonky. Most of the problems that users report with optical HR during weight training sessions come from this.

3. clerkp thread starter macrumors newbie

I wondered that. But if true, it's disappointing since that's the majority of the time I want to know my HR. I also wondered whether bringing my hands up high might have something to do with it.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Right. I'm not sure if the electric current in the heart rate-detecting handgrips would affect the watch, either. Does it do any better if you hold onto a part of the machine that isn't the handgrips (if that makes sense)?

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

BarracksSi first answer is correct. When you hold on the constriction of you tissues hides the pulse so that the optical sensor can't see it. If you want accurate readings you will need to use a BT HR strap.

Also it sounds like you are gripping them too tight. Relax and don't even touch them on the Stair Master.

6. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Currently Im restricted to what exercise I can do but cycling is one and Im spending 30 mins every morning on one with the electronic HR grips and these are always very close to what my AW2 is telling me. I use my HR monitor a lot as Im always checking it and it has always been very good. Im trying to recall if I grip tightly but tbh, I don't think I do? It makes no odds to me if Im holding this part of the grip or a non HR sensing part from my experience.

Obviously it may differ on a cross trainer or other cardio machine

I would think this would be caused by holding to tightly but I cant check this as away on holiday from next week so no gym unless the hotel has one?

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm still mostly guessing about the grip on the machines' rails. I've stayed away from cardio machines for the past seven or eight years.

8. clerkp thread starter macrumors newbie

These all seem like good explanations. I don't squeeze the rails very much but my wrist is bent a bit. Sounds like it's something I'll have to live with or try to adjust to account for. As for the machine's own HR, the handles I hold are different so I don't think they are they problem.

9. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I use a treadmill and elliptical 7 days a week and my AW and the rails on the machine are always within 1 heart beat of each other. I don't really grip real tight, just hold on till it reads my HR. My calorie count is always really close between the machine and my AW also.