HR while using weights ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thedoc46, Sep 24, 2015.

1. thedoc46 macrumors member

Does anyone know why the HR monitor is way off whenever using weights ?

Is it because your wrists are tense during the exercise and it cannot read it accurately ?

I've compared it live while using a HR strap monitor and an app open... My HR can be in the 150's and on the watch its showing like 60...

Doesn't seem to affect it while cycling, and you're putting some of your body weight on your wrists (especially on a road bike)

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Optical relies on reading blood flow. Weight training constricts arteries and blood flow.

3. thedoc46 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks thats good to know !

Hoepfully one day we can Bluetooth up a HR chest strap to the phone so it can use that in conjunction with the blood flow type, so that you're given a choice when starting a particular exercise, given how popular using weights is.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You can pair a BT HR strap to the :apple:Watch and have been able to do this for years on the iPhone. However unless you have a medical condition HR plays little to no role in wight training.

5. friedmud macrumors 65816

Interesting... Mine seems to work fine while doing chest presses (on a machine... not free weights). It typically runs up to 150 for a long set of reps. Definitely never shows anything under 100 during my whole workout.

I just looked at my past three weight workouts and they consistently show my average heart rate right around 110.

Maybe try repositioning your watch?

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

definitely doesn't work that well with weightlifting. It's a problem with all wrist-based HRMs. I have a bluetooth Polar chest strap i used to use with an older garmin watch that works great with the apple watch when lifting.