HS on my 2016 ntb 13"MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Sep 26, 2017.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or has HS rendered the animation on my MBP far more fluid than anything before it?
    This update is by FAR the best I've ever experience from a UI perspective.
    Just my 2cents and curious to the experience of others...

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

As I understand it, macOS "WindowServer" now renders via Metal 2. So yes, the UI should be significantly more fluid.

3. jun180 macrumors regular

jun180

4. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very cool, best feature so far including the lightning fast file copy/paste feature!

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

It's not you at all - High Sierra appears to completely eliminate the UI lag that some users have complained about on select retina model MBPs. My understanding of Metal 2 is pretty limited to a non-technical level, but I assume this is partly because of how the GPU is now performing certain tasks that have historically been performed by the CPU, because the GPU can perform these tasks more efficiently.

Even in a VM, I have observed what seems to be a much more responsive UI than my Sierra, El Cap, and Yosemite VMs.

I'm very curious to see whether High Sierra reduces normal working temperatures.

6. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I noticed that it stutters right after coming out of standby but otherwise super fluid which is a big improvement from before!