HSPA+ 42.. it really nets ~26mbps with a 32ms ping!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeG4, Mar 26, 2011.

1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

2. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Well it won't matter much in 11months, since att is buying T-Mobile and att will move all T-Mobile users to att's slow congested ass 850mhz/1900mhz HSPA+ 14.4Mbps(max) network and att will scrap T-Mobile's fast 1700mhz HSPA+ 42Mbps Network and use it for LTE only. Since no T-Mobile phones have 1700mhz LTE radios and neitheir does this Rocket USB stick, all these T-Mobile devices will be EDGE only next year!

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing wrong with HSPA+ 3G IMO.
    If we can get some decent speeds like 14Mbps+ why not stick to that for a while instead of going thru LTE 4G that will suck battery life down within an hour?

4. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Speed test numbers are great and all but doesn't help if you can't make calls or get a consistent signal.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I haven't heard a lot of people trashing it, myself. Just on forums like this :)

HSPA+ has the immediate advantage to carriers of being cheaper and quicker to implement if they already have a UMTS system in place, as ATT does. (Well, mostly in place.)

Longer term, of course, it's a dead end compared to LTE, which will be far faster, has consistently less latency, makes better use of spectrum, is more configurable, has a simpler network architecture, etc.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

7. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Still can't touch LTE. Took these this weekend!

Attached Files:

8. mobiletech macrumors member

Currently HSPA+ is superior in terms of current function. The numbers are even with LTE and better battery life. While the potential of LTE is far greater the current performance is at best even with LTE and at worst almost as slow as edge.

There t-mobile strategy is very smart since they no longer have to deal with the long wait for zoning and building permits to put up LTE towers. Now all they have to do is gut the towers and install the LTE technology.

9. scelzifan macrumors 6502

HSPA+ is no way superior to LTE!! Not even close!! There is 1 person on that network right now and that is the speed they are showing and who knows where those readings were taken. That might be the absolute fastest(very likely) that HSPA+ will ever see. LTE is not loaded with people yet but I am sure it has at least 50,000 to 100,000 on it already and my reading were taking in Oklahoma City!! I seen my phone hit mid 30's all weekend and never got below 20 so I would say it's pretty good. Look at the people that were testing the Thunderbolt before its release, the numbers were just crazy high. I think they were in the 50's down and the coverage is not even close so until at&t can just get 3G to me, I don't even care about their hspa+ network because their coverage map stinks and thats never going to change.

10. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

This would be breech of contract for AT&T since the tmobile customers would be able to demonstrate that AT&T screwed their service. AT&T would have a mass exodus of tmobile customers or would be giving out free phones to replace the ones they borked. I predict this will happen after 2 years, though.