Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Their version of the edge screen looks pretty neat in that video. If I stick with android I'm definitely open to trying HTC again.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
This is interesting.

HTC promotional video: http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...-leaks-ahead-of-official-announcement_id89765

And is HTC rebranding their One line to the Vive?
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-vive-smartphone-video-take-good-grain-salt-741875/

All interesting stuff for a company that desperately needs a fresh and new direction.

Video focuses heavily on one-handed use given how many times it cuts back to the hands clasped.

Then again, if it's been online for ages, did they can the idea?

The edge scrolling control reminds me of the split view implementation on iPad. If all apps are available it could take an age so I guess it will be limited to a chosen few.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Solid specs for the Ultra, i think i may have found my new phone if it holds true. Not too long to go now.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, it really just looks like HTC gave up. Not sure what they were thinking here if those leaks prove real.

The article also casts serious doubts on the validity of the photos considering they're 'supposed' to be the HTC U Ultra yet no dual rear camera or rear facing fingerprint scanner as the specs indicate.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
The article also casts serious doubts on the validity of the photos considering they're 'supposed' to be the HTC U Ultra yet no dual rear camera or rear facing fingerprint scanner as the specs indicate.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense why HTC would do such a design.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've on occasion ;) made a comment about Samsung too closely mimicing something Apple has previously done (yes, I'm also aware it goes both ways) but HTC is taking 'borrowing' from fellow OEMs to a new level.

HTC simply just doesn't get it. Just repackaging features from other smartphones isn't compelling. Every new element of the U Ultra is simply a blatant copy of something done first somewhere else.

I don't see these phones being relevant in the smartphone space in any way whatsoever. And especially the Ultra at that price.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
Not a good start in the new year for HTC.

The U Ultra is embarrassing.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I think the U Ultra is a beautiful looking device, but with it starting at $749, I just don't see anything that the Ultra offers compared to other smartphones in the price range.

It's a Samsung design with an LG V20 mini-screen at the top. And it's Google Pixel internals (Snapdragon 821 and 4GB (?) of RAM). What's the "new" thing it's bringing to the table?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
Bring on the HTC Ocean.

And where is the waterproofing? Every flagship in 2017 should have waterproofing. I'm ready to forget about the U Ultra already.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Bring on the HTC Ocean.

And where is the waterproofing? Every flagship in 2017 should have waterproofing. I'm ready to forget about the U Ultra already.
I think that everyone was hoping that the U Ultra WAS the Ocean :(

Maybe some of the supposed features of the rumored Ocean will make it into the Pixel 2. Where there's smoke there's fire.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
There will probably be no HTC 11

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/12/there-will-probably-be-no-htc-11/

During my briefing for the new HTC U Play and U Ultra last week, a point of discussion around "flagships" came up during the presentation. HTC wants to send the message that U is now the premiere brand for the company, and that U is where HTC's premiere products will be found.

There was an interruption by an HTC rep, something along the lines of "we won't say there will be no HTC 11" (I'm paraphrasing here - this isn't a directly attributable quote), but the HTC executive making the presentation then responded with something that basically worked out to "well, we kind of are saying that." There was a pause, and the presentation moved on.

Who really knows what they're doing.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
There will probably be no HTC 11

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/12/there-will-probably-be-no-htc-11/

During my briefing for the new HTC U Play and U Ultra last week, a point of discussion around "flagships" came up during the presentation. HTC wants to send the message that U is now the premiere brand for the company, and that U is where HTC's premiere products will be found.

There was an interruption by an HTC rep, something along the lines of "we won't say there will be no HTC 11" (I'm paraphrasing here - this isn't a directly attributable quote), but the HTC executive making the presentation then responded with something that basically worked out to "well, we kind of are saying that." There was a pause, and the presentation moved on.

Who really knows what they're doing.
"We are saying that. But we're not. But believe me, we are. Kind of."

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 7, 2014
The challenge for HTC is that they just aren't recognized by most potential buyers. And you can blame lack of marketing (and what little they have is arguably bad marketing) or whatever, but it starts with the smartphone itself. To get any recognition, they have to offer a truly compelling device. They simply haven't done this in the last few years. Their failings in the camera department is especially damaging.

And so fair or not, the requirement for HTC to impress is rather high. They have to standout with the smartphone itself. Otherwise, what will happen is what has happened the past couple of years; they will be overshadowed by Samsung, and overshadowed easily.

As TBargys mentioned earlier, they just don't get it.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
"Even we don't know what we're doing!" -HTC probably.

Yep sounds about right. The price and battery just killed any interest i had in the Ultra. Might as well buy a Pixel XL if they're ever back in stock.

Honestly what the eff is wrong with Android OEM's? Whether crap skin, crap processor, tiny onboard storage, battery or just lacking a certain feature that you would expect to be standard across board for a flagship e.g. microSD, waterproof etc. ,there's always something not quite right. it always seems there has to be at least one or two big compromises made.

Reactions: Breaking Good

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The HTC Ultra is dba, dead before arrival. 821 instead of waiting for the 835, no waterproofing when everyone is heading in that direction, etc. Brings nothing to the table that wasn't already there.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Honestly what the eff is wrong with Android OEM's? Whether crap skin, crap processor, tiny onboard storage, battery or just lacking a certain feature that you would expect to be standard across board for a flagship e.g. microSD, waterproof etc. ,there's always something not quite right. it always seems there has to be at least one or two big compromises made.

You know, you've really very nicely summed up the state of Android OEM's.

Android phones have some great features, but each one seems to be a compromise in some way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.