Htc Desire vs Nikon D40...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by waloshin, Sep 25, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Nikon D40: Digital Slr, 6.1 megapixels

Versus

Htc Desire: 5 megapixels

Nikon: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Htc Desire:

Now I know these are not the same shots, but they are simular. I am rather impressed with the Htc Desires camera performance for being a cell phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Especially with the last picture.

So lets see your unedited, raw iPhone 4 pictures in comparison.

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Ah, yes, the question that's preoccupied mankind since time immemorial... Which is better: a crap photo taken with a camera or a crap photo taken with a phone?

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Is it just me or is the last set of 2 pics the exact same picture? Down to the position of the waves, and the birds/dust/whatever in the air... I don't think these two pictures were taken by a different camera.

You have indeed shown that high DOF shots taken in bright sunlight do not really require DSLR power. But everyone has known this for quite some time. Try for some narrower DOF or lower light, and you will quickly see where even the aging D40 outpaces the cell phone.

4. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Put an 85/1.4G on a D40 and watch it destroy point and shoots of today, let alone cellphones.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If the Desire's camera (software?) is anything like the Aria's, it probably sucks goat balls in low light.

6. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

to the OP: if you're satisfied with the images you get from a 5mp phone camera, then you don't need any dSLR. But there is no doubt that a D50 or D40 can produce superior images... they can also produce lousy images. They're just tools. The dSLR is a far more capable tool than a phone camera, it's a simple as that. What you do with it is up to you.

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

At that size the HTC looks good. Blow it up to a bigger size though and watch the D40 soar. However for a cameraphone it looks very good

8. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

The OP posted a simple quality comparison, so it's a little rude and unwarranted to call the photo "crap", imo.

Those last two photos... OP, did you post the same photo twice, accidentally?

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Actually the two last pictures are different one is with the Htc Deisre's back cover on and the other is with the cover off there is debate that having the battery cover off gives better pictures so I was testing that.

EDIT:

The only real difference I see is the color of the grass.

10. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I dunno man, the filenames of those two pictures are the same, at least when I try to dowlnoad them. Maybe double check.

Flipping between the two in picture viewer, they are the EXACT same picture. If you took one then another with the cover off, the waves would have moved at the very least.

11. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Indeed, the size is too small to show off either effectively- for critical evaluation I prefer prints at at least 8x10". In any case, this is entirely too small to draw any conclusions other than the comparison is not useful ;)

Paul

12. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Definitely impressive photos, for a phone, of course. I've been extremely impressed with my iPhone 4 in good lighting (besides the rolling shutter, blech), but my D80 still makes the iPhone camera cry itself to sleep at night...

13. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Wow, I'd like to see how the HTC performs with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

Oh, wait. Never mind.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

ok?

I think you should look into this product waloshin!

[​IMG]

Saw that gem while on a flight in the weird plane skymall magazine thing. So strange.

Then this: [​IMG]

Bingo!

15. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Rude... but fair...