HTC Headset on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ttomor, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ttomor macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I've just bought a new Macbook, and I want to use an external microphone for Skype. I tried plugging in my HTC headset, and surprisingly the earphones work alright, whereas the voice is picked from the internal macbook microphone. What's more, the external microphone is not even displayed in "System Preferences -> Sound". The same does not happen with genuine iPod headset. The voice is picked from their microphone instead. The interesting thing is that if I plug-in the HTC headset into the iPod touch, the voice is recorded from the headset's microphone.

Now my question is whether I have to buy genuine Apple headset for this to work? Or there are cheaper alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I was recently researching another issue and it spoke about the need to be using a genuine Apple headset. Apparently (according to this article I found) the design of the port on the inside is slightly different and causes non-Apple headsets not to work correctly. I know that none of my old ones will work properly.

I do not know if there is a cheaper alternative that will work, maybe someone else here knows???