HTC Hero

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steve2112, Nov 9, 2009.

1. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

My cell provider just got the HTC Hero, and I'm seriously considering getting it. It has gotten good reviews, but a few reviewers have commented on the UI being sluggish and some nitpicks about battery life. Does anybody around here have this phone? If so, what do you think about it? The model they have is the chin-less model that Sprint has.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just saw it for the first time a couple of days ago. I have to say, that I am very impressed with it. The Sense UI by HTC is great. I have also heard that it is a little sluggish.

3. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I personally feel that it's the best Android phone so far. Except the chin it has..

4. beaner454 macrumors regular

Side Note:

So I think that I figured out why I've never enjoyed trying out a single Android phone, despite hearing positive things about them.

Background Apps.

I've only played around with them at Sprint & Verizon stores so far, where people are probably opening up a good chunk of the apps and not quitting out of them. Thereby causing performance to come to a crawl. I'm going to double check this hypothesis tomorrow with the droid by resetting it first.

I hope I'm right, because I'm growing tired of the iPhone and hope that there is some serious competition that will either allow me to switch to or will cause Apple to innovate some more for the next gen. Because I'm still sitting pretty with my 1st gen iPhone. And this is coming from a serial upgrader.

5. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Isn't the hero different in the US as it is in europe? I liked the european version a lot but the one on sprint looks just like any other generic smart phone from the last 5 years

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, the Sprint and European versions are different. The Sprint version is rounded at the bottom, while the European is square and it bends outward sort of like the original Android phone. I prefer the Sprint version.

7. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, the one my carrier has is the chin-less model like Sprint has. I like the looks of it. I kind of wish it had a physical keyboard, since I still suck at typing on virtual keyboards. I type about a word a minute on my Touch keyboard.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Get a Droid? It's supposed to trump the Hero.

9. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

If my carrier had it, I probably would get the Droid. I don't feel like switching to Verizon, although I did consider it before my carrier started getting some decent phones. Does anybody know how tough it is to upgrade the OS on Android phones? From what I can tell, the Droid is running Android 2.0, while the Hero and others are still running 1.6. (I think that's the right version.)