HTC Incredible camera vs iPhone 4 camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mo25, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mo25, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

mo25 macrumors member

I have been using an HTC Incredible since July and I plan on buying an iPhone 4 tomorrow night. In order not to make this an android vs iOS thread I only want to discuss the camera.

I've been looking at the Post your Photos Taken with an iPhone 4 thread and from what I've seen, even though the iPhone 4's camera might have a better/larger sensor, the extra 3MP that Incredible has add's a lot to the quality of the pictures. There's no question which camera takes better video because even though they both do 720p the Incredible's video camera CANNOT record at 30 FPS. It barely manages 18 FPS which causes a LOT of studdering and dropped frames.

Here are a mixture of low light/well lit high and low color pictures I took since I got the phone, none of these photos have been touched in any way whatsoever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Based on just these few images and compared to the image quality that the iPhone's camera takes which phone's camera do you guys think is better?

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

well.. kinda hard to tell which pictures where taken on which phone... Especially since some of them have time stamps and only 2 dont..
    I recommend that you start using camera+ also

3. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

those droid incredible shots look great. The Iphone 4 over saturates pictures though, but you can use photoshop to fix the pics. Get the Iphone 4 you won't regret it trust me.

4. mo25 thread starter macrumors member

All of these pictures were taken from an htc incredible.

5. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Having had the incredible and now the iPhone 4 I can say that the 4 has the better quality in pics. I sold the incredible to my friend so as soon as I see him I'll do photo comparison for you.

The incredible doesn't do as well with colors. Took a photo of my nephew and his lips looked like they had red lipstick on. Lol. His mom was not amused.

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

It's about photons, not mega-pixels. Go with the iPhone.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I also have both of these phones. The Incredible's camera is decent in good light but utter garbage in anything less than optimal lighting. The iPhone 4's camera is far superior in this respect in my opinion.

I would choose the iPhone 5MP over the 8MP in the Incredible any day. Supposedly, the next round of HTC phones with 8MP cameras will have impoved low-light quality. We'll see.

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Yes - we'll see. Especially since the next iPhone is rumored to have an 8MP camera.

9. utneon macrumors regular

well, i have to admit, those pictures are fantastic. i'm really impressed with the quality. i think iPhone 4 has some camera issues when it comes to taking pictures with low light conditions because of the crappy flash found in the iPhone4. But what i love the most on the iPhone 4 is the camera and the apps. Combined they make a much better camera than any other phone.

Still, great pictures from your htc, i'm impressed :D

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Far better than Motorola or Samsung, no doubt. :rolleyes:

11. ac921ol macrumors regular

Point and shoot the incredible does better, looking at the picture on the phone, the iPhone does better. That's my perspective

12. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

A physical camera shutter would be nice...

13. utneon macrumors regular

show us a picture in low light. with good light every camera is good:eek:

14. mo25, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

mo25 thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to add this in my OP. The Incredible has dual LED flash while the ip4 has a single LED. I'm sure this makes a difference when you take a low light image.

Of course the picture would look better on the ip4, the display is a LOT better and has a higher resolution than the Incredible.

Here is a picture that was taken in a completely dark room (no light whatsoever):

http://i.imgur.com/9l8CL.jpg

Here's a picture taken in very low light with no flash:

http://i.imgur.com/mivMN.jpg

Here's the same image again but with flash:

http://i.imgur.com/pZLVm.jpg

Judge for yourself.

15. utneon macrumors regular

i guess there is no miracles in low light conditions despite whichever cam it is. well i think both cameras are good. but i think the available apps in ios takes more advantage of the iPhone camera so it's safe to say that iPhone's camera is worth more right now. I wish iPhone had better flash though :mad: