Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Anyone else excited for the M7 from HTC?

468ppi on a well built body!

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Honestly 1080p displays don't move the meter for me. At screen sizes as small as smartphones, I've yet to see where a difference between 1080p and 720p is discernable enough to actually matter. At this point, I think it's more a bullet point on a spec sheet than something that actually provides value. 468 ppi is so far above the threshold where the human eye can discern individual pixels, that it's really just overkill. It's like having a rocket launcher for protection....sure it will work, but it's really WAY above and beyond the call of duty.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Hmm, I have wonders about how well built it will be. Ive gone through 3 8X's because of ****** quality.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I think HTC's are junk. I don't know anyone who still uses them. All my friends are using Apple, Nokia, and Samsung.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
How many flagship devices can HTC release in a 12 month period?

Just One X, DNA and this.

Problems with HTC is not hardware, but stupid Sense and its lack of updates. It's ridiculous that Amaze, EVO 3D, Raider, Rezound only receive one major update (ICS). SG2 which was released way before these phones are now upgraded to JellyBean. The management is ran by idiots and why would any one continue to buy HTC when their friends' similar-spec phones gets latest update and theirs don't.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I don't personally know a single person who uses HTC. They're the phones that salesman sucker people in to 2 year contracts with. Admittedly I had such awful experiences with them I'd never give them another chance, so call me biased. They always look great in the ads but they don't perform well in reality. There's a reason Samsung blew past them in the blink of an eye. And no, I'm not using a Samsung- it's just the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
You're not counting facebook right, not on it and I don't know anyone who has an hTc.

I did had the EVO 3D & One X but it didn't last long, sold it after a few weeks.

I have to admit they do make the best looking Super Phones and love the feel & quality. If they release a nexus, I would buy it for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If I had to switch to an Android device, it would be a Motorola Razr HD Maxx.

It really suits me in a way, without the Maxx necessarily, but, being android, the specs on release were really 6 or so months behind the curve. If it had a better camera - reasonably close to the iPhone 5 but not necessarily as good, and a quad core with 2 gig ram, I would have bought it already. Sony Xperia Z/ZL is what is now on my radar.

However, my phone is very important to me and being 10 minutes walk away from an Apple store, I feel I will probably go with a 5, despite not being overly enthusiastic about it. I just cannot be bothered with having to return my phone to the manufacturer for warranty work or a swap.

In Canada you have 14 days or 30 minutes, whichever is less, if you want to return a phone (a phone purchased with a contract) in the case you simply do not like it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It really suits me in a way, without the Maxx necessarily, but, being android, the specs on release were really 6 or so months behind the curve. If it had a better camera - reasonably close to the iPhone 5 but not necessarily as good, and a quad core with 2 gig ram, I would have bought it already. Sony Xperia Z/ZL is what is now on my radar.

However, my phone is very important to me and being 10 minutes walk away from an Apple store, I feel I will probably go with a 5, despite not being overly enthusiastic about it. I just cannot be bothered with having to return my phone to the manufacturer for warranty work or a swap.

In Canada you have 14 days or 30 minutes, whichever is less, if you want to return a phone (a phone purchased with a contract) in the case you simply do not like it.

The specs on the Razr HD aren't absolute top, I agree. However, I've had several Android phones in the past and the single most common thing about them is the battery life sucks something terrible compared to what most iPhone users are used to getting. Many Android guys find 3 hours of screen-on time to be perfectly acceptable. It is not; I can get 6-7 hrs of screen-on time out of my iPhone at 50% brightness. Even the best smartphone in the world will be rendered useless by a dead battery. And for me, the full day and night I consistently get from my iPhone trumps all current benefits of Android.

Personally, I hate carrying spare batteries. I've got enough extra crap in my pockets already - keys, wallet, money/change, sometimes a pair of earbuds... another battery rattling around is not something I want to remember to always have. So, I must consider an "extended" battery. For my prior Android phones (Droid Incredible, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3), the available extended batteries have been monstrous, bulky, heavy and awkward, all necessitating the use of a custom battery door and all virtually doubling the thickness and weight of the phone.

The Razr HD, however, has a built-in 3,300mAh battery that should give even a power-hungry Android LTE phone with an AMOLED screen (which I believe to be horribly inefficient) a "reasonable" battery life - at least equal to what an iPhone 5 user would expect out of a day. And it's only 2 mm thicker than an iPhone 5 (weighs more, too, of course, but not really all that much).

kdarling

macrumors P6
I used to be a huge HTC fan. Loved Sense, loved their hardware.

Over time, I had two HTC phones whose USB charging ports stopped working (and I'm too lazy these days to resolder them)... which eventually pushed me into trying a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

(Also, HTC started putting the charging ports on the side, which made it harder to find desktop docks in portrait mode. As a developer, this was a pain.)

Upshot: after years of avoiding Samsungs because they felt so light and flimsy in comparison, now I appreciate their thinness and light weight :)

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'll get excited about an HTC phone when they start putting in decent sized batteries.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I used to be a huge HTC fan. Loved Sense, loved their hardware.

Over time, I had two HTC phones whose USB charging ports stopped working (and I'm too lazy these days to resolder them)... which eventually pushed me into trying a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

(Also, HTC started putting the charging ports on the side, which made it harder to find desktop docks in portrait mode. As a developer, this was a pain.)

Upshot: after years of avoiding Samsungs because they felt so light and flimsy in comparison, now I appreciate their thinness and light weight :)

What device are you using now?

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
The specs on the Razr HD aren't absolute top, I agree. However, I've had several Android phones in the past and the single most common thing about them is the battery life sucks something terrible compared to what most iPhone users are used to getting. Many Android guys find 3 hours of screen-on time to be perfectly acceptable. It is not; I can get 6-7 hrs of screen-on time out of my iPhone at 50% brightness. Even the best smartphone in the world will be rendered useless by a dead battery. And for me, the full day and night I consistently get from my iPhone trumps all current benefits of Android.

Personally, I hate carrying spare batteries. I've got enough extra crap in my pockets already - keys, wallet, money/change, sometimes a pair of earbuds... another battery rattling around is not something I want to remember to always have. So, I must consider an "extended" battery. For my prior Android phones (Droid Incredible, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3), the available extended batteries have been monstrous, bulky, heavy and awkward, all necessitating the use of a custom battery door and all virtually doubling the thickness and weight of the phone.

The Razr HD, however, has a built-in 3,300mAh battery that should give even a power-hungry Android LTE phone with an AMOLED screen (which I believe to be horribly inefficient) a "reasonable" battery life - at least equal to what an iPhone 5 user would expect out of a day. And it's only 2 mm thicker than an iPhone 5 (weighs more, too, of course, but not really all that much).
The RAZR HD with JB is very buggy.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm not excited by any new HTC device, after my One X. Sense is terrible, battery life was horrid, to top it off, I don't think JB has come to the att model yet. Plus the One X+ came out six months later. They're going thru models too quickly.

Im sticking with Samsung because they don't just abandon their old models

The screen on the One X was gorgeous though.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Too bad. That's a big problem for Android - doesn't work correctly on anything I guess.

Try out the Samsung S3 and Note II and you will see a very smooth Android experience. No lag, hesitation or issues.

I've had my Note II since launch and have NEVER had a reboot on its own.
I use to have that happen to me every once in a while on every single one of my iPhones.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Not true. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3. Battery life is unacceptable. I'd love to trade it for a Maxx HD.

Interesting. I've never had an issue with battery life on my GS3 (when I had it). It wasn't phenomenal battery life, but I very easily could make it through a 12-14 hour day of moderate use, and still have at least 20-30% remaining. I never worried about my battery dying when I was using that device.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Not true. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3. Battery life is unacceptable. I'd love to trade it for a Maxx HD.

What do you consider acceptable? My S3 would easily last around 18 hours sometimes longer with 3-4 hours of screen time.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
What do you consider acceptable? My S3 would easily last around 18 hours sometimes longer with 3-4 hours of screen time.

I consider acceptable something that can replicate the battery life I get with my iPhone. I can regularly get 5-6 hours of screen-on time on time, often more, from a single charge.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Honestly 1080p displays don't move the meter for me. At screen sizes as small as smartphones, I've yet to see where a difference between 1080p and 720p is discernable enough to actually matter. At this point, I think it's more a bullet point on a spec sheet than something that actually provides value. 468 ppi is so far above the threshold where the human eye can discern individual pixels, that it's really just overkill. It's like having a rocket launcher for protection....sure it will work, but it's really WAY above and beyond the call of duty.

Sense. You make it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.