Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Rumored specifications according to a report from Android Authority:

- 5″ FullHD 1080p covered by Gorilla Glass 3
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 805
- 2GB LPDDR3 RAM
- 6 or 8MP UltraPixel camera (possibly with double lens)
- 2.1MP front camera
- Software buttons
- 2900mAh battery
- Android KitKat with HTC Sense 6.0
- micro-SIM, microSD
- NFC

What do you guys think? Is anyone here waiting to buy this?

I like the rumored specs but still don't trust that UltraPixel camera too much. Will have to wait and see samples.

Considering they can't make a huge upgrade it would make sense to add some stuff that can fix the annoyances of last year's model, like the inclusion of an SD card and the software buttons (most people didn't like the arrangement of buttons of the One).

I love the idea that more and more manufacturers start using the dam software buttons.

It also makes sense after seeing the prototype picture that was leaked a few weeks ago. I didn't saw space for the capacitive buttons. Maybe that confirms this specs.

All this specs + boom sound + aluminum body sounds nice. Do you guys think it will be that much better than the top smartphones right now like the G2, Note 3 and Nexus 5? Would these specs if real make you change phones?

And how do you guys think this will compare to the SGS5? Let's suppose that will have 16Mpx ISOCELL camera, 3000 battery, 5.25 1440P display, etc. That's what the rumors are saying.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Specs look good. Lack of SD card support is what stopped me from buying it last year.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I hope they don't go with a removable back just for the micro sd like they did with the max. If they make the back removable, than at least have the battery removable too. If not keep the unibody and put an SD tray like the one on the Nokia 1520.

As far as the specs, I hope they go with on screen keys this time around instead of that two button layout with HTC in the middle. Biggest problem for me with last years model was the battery life and how long it took to charge. Hopefully those will be remodied.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Just got myself a One Max so I'll probably pass on this, but solid specs if they turn out to be real.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If true, looks like HTC is listening to their critics as these changes address the biggest flaws of the One, namely the camera, capacitive button layout, and battery life (not terrible but should certainly improve with increased size). I really liked my HTC One and a sequel with these specs in a body a stout as last years model sounds pretty attractive as a phone.

As far as matching up with the rumored specs on the S5, it's too difficult to compare, IMO, primarily due to the differences in OEM skins. I find TouchWiz to be very heavy-handed and it personally has ruined my experience with two different Samsung devices, both possessing top notch hardware at the time each device was released. As they stand now, if you were to put TouchWiz and Sense skinned Android on identical hardware, I suspect the TouchWiz device would be the inferior performer. Samsung needs to over spec their hardware to overcome their software.

Regardless, it's certainly stacking up to be a very interesting next few months--can't wait to see what ultimately offered from both Samsung and HTC.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Rumored specifications according to a report from Android Authority:

- 5″ FullHD 1080p covered by Gorilla Glass 3
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 805
- 2GB LPDDR3 RAM
- 6 or 8MP UltraPixel camera (possibly with double lens)
- 2.1MP front camera
- Software buttons
- 2900mAh battery
- Android KitKat with HTC Sense 6.0
- micro-SIM, microSD
- NFC

What do you guys think? Is anyone here waiting to buy this?

I like the rumored specs but still don't trust that UltraPixel camera too much. Will have to wait and see samples.

Considering they can't make a huge upgrade it would make sense to add some stuff that can fix the annoyances of last year's model, like the inclusion of an SD card and the software buttons (most people didn't like the arrangement of buttons of the One).

I love the idea that more and more manufacturers start using the dam software buttons.

It also makes sense after seeing the prototype picture that was leaked a few weeks ago. I didn't saw space for the capacitive buttons. Maybe that confirms this specs.

All this specs + boom sound + aluminum body sounds nice. Do you guys think it will be that much better than the top smartphones right now like the G2, Note 3 and Nexus 5? Would these specs if real make you change phones?

And how do you guys think this will compare to the SGS5? Let's suppose that will have 16Mpx ISOCELL camera, 3000 battery, 5.25 1440P display, etc. That's what the rumors are saying.

The only thing that interests me is the 2900 battery. Everything else is, meh.

Wouldnt make me sell my Nexus 5 at all but then again i had no interest in the HTC One.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Honestly, I had about given up on HTC but this might be worth checking out. They always made a good phone until they changed their mantra and started cranking out crap for the masses. Hopefully it will have a removable battery but I highly doubt it.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
The only thing that interests me is the 2900 battery. Everything else is, meh.

Wouldnt make me sell my Nexus 5 at all but then again i had no interest in the HTC One.

Well, atm the ONE is still a better device than the N5, it's just cheaper. Even Sense has a very good, nearly stock like, experience. And you can always root it and put GPE on it if you don't like Sense.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
I am REALLY glad they went with a 1080p display instead of 2560x1440. I was also annoyed when I read that it has a 5 inch display as that would make it harder to use with one hand (speakers take a lot of space not that I am complaining, it's the best thing about the phone IMO) , but the software buttons more than make up for it, I am glad they went with it. If HTC wants they can make a smaller phone with a bigger display if they cut the bezels...

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The only thing I gave my HTC One up for was the camera. The 4mp Ultrapixel camera was just not up to the job for me.

If they stick with ultra pixel and only go unto 6mp then I'll likely pass.

They really need to go 8mp with UltraPixel or simply forget the ultra pixel BS and put a 20mp with a wide lens and OIS

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The only thing I gave my HTC One up for was the camera. The 4mp Ultrapixel camera was just not up to the job for me.

If they stick with ultra pixel and only go unto 6mp then I'll likely pass.

They really need to go 8mp with UltraPixel or simply forget the ultra pixel BS and put a 20mp with a wide lens and OIS
Agreed! HTC needs to step up big time with the camera this time around.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The New HTC one will still have a 4 ultra pixel cam.

I'd seen rumors stating the same but this latest 'leak' as posted on Android Authority believes it's a higher MP version.

Sticking with the same camera as the HTC One would be one of the final nails in HTC's coffin, IMO.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Having both the N5 and HTC One, the camera is the only bad thing on the One. If they bump up the specs and add a 12mp camera with OIS they will have a winner. As it stands right now though, the N5 is the better phone all around.

All that said, 2014 is going to be an amazing year for Android phones. We have the HTC One M8, the Nexus 5 v2, the S5 (aluminum now?), LG G3, and maybe even an Xperia. Plus, Windows phone 8.1 is coming to Lumia phones which will be a huge boost to that platform.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Who knows if HTC will even be around by the end of the year.

I hope they give us a microSD slot.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
All that said, 2014 is going to be an amazing year for Android phones. We have the HTC One M8, the Nexus 5 v2, the S5 (aluminum now?), LG G3, and maybe even an Xperia. Plus, Windows phone 8.1 is coming to Lumia phones which will be a huge boost to that platform.

I most certainly agree. The more competition the better. KitKat is a fantastic mobile OS, and it's one of the key factors in my decision to buy the Nexus 5.

Currently I'm using my Nexus 5 as my primary smartphone, I find it ideal for my wants & needs as a very heavy smartphone user for both work & personal. Fortunately I don't care about camera performance in any of my phones because I prefer and happily carry a dedicated camera in my laptop bag.

Being a serious Multi-Platform enthusiast I'm hoping that 2014 is the year Apple sets their ego aside, and _finally_ releases a long overdue large screen iPhone. I'd like nothing more than for it to be 5.7" like the gorgeous display on my Galaxy Note 3. I'll be the first to buy one upon its release no matter what other features it has or doesn't have.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I've got the feeling (and hope) that in 2014 all major smartphones will have 3000 battery.

It should be that way anyway.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Software buttons and decrease in bezel could really help the overall size of the phone. Phone was to big for a 4.7" screen.

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung finally decides to go with metal to match what HTC had done with the One series.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Move the power/wake button away from the top and onto the right side (like the One Max). On-screen buttons. An SD card slot. A proper camera. Learn how to market your new phone well. Make these changes HTC or you might face potential death.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Meh. I think we have reached smartphone saturation in terms of display/performance. Nothing gets me excited. The enhanced battery might work in HTC's favour

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.