HTC One Charger Question

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ucfgrad93, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just switched from an iPhone to the HTC One. I have an extra iPhone wall charger. Would it be ok to use that to charge my One?

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

It's best to use the stock charger as they all have different Volts/Amps.

Are you asking because of how short the cable on the HTC One charger is? I bought a 6 foot USB to Micro USB cable on Amazon for $2 to use instead.

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I'm asking because I have a couple of extra iPhone wall chargers. I figured I could use them along with a micro-USB cable as an extra charger. This way, I don't have to buy an extra charger nor just throw away the iPhone charger.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

You can use them, however remember there is the slim possibility of it messing your phone up. I can't find the Amps/Volts used in the HTC One's charger. I know the iPhone uses a 1Amp/5Volts charger, I don't know if the HTC One uses higher, if it does your iPhone Charger would take longer to charge your HTC and would get very hot in the process.

5. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I found the specs for the AC adapter on HTC's website. Would the iPhone charger work?

Attached Files:

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Thats the exact same Amps and Voltage output than the iPhone charger. Should work no problem.

7. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Yeah, should work perfectly fine. Now I know why the One charges so slow.. 2300 mAh battery, charging at the same speed of the 1400 mAh iPhone.

The S4 charger uses 2 Amps.

Btw using higher rated chargers isn't bad to use every once in awhile. When I used an iPhone and needed a quick charge, I would use my iPad charger. Doing that a lot would cause battery damage over time though.

8. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just a heads up. Yes it takes ages to charge the HTC One on 4.1.2 - thankfully 4.2.2 charges a lot quicker :)

10. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Ahh. I sold my One and got an S4 so I was never able to test that. :p

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Use a 2amp charger or its going to take forever.