Phones HTC One E8 debuts as a plastic One M8 with dual SIM and 13 MP camera

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Jun 3, 2014.

1. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

HTC has a new plastic phone out......
    Probably headed for overseas markets......

[​IMG]

HTC is fond of using aluminum for its flagship phones. The newly announced HTC One E8 breaks from that trend and wraps the flagship in plastic without changing most of the important features. The latest member of the One family looks similar to its kin on the front thanks to the large bezel and dual front-facing stereo speakers, but the back shows it's a distinct piece of hardware. The device is composed of a polycarbonate frame that should cost less but still make the phone feel like it's worthwhile.
    The One E8 ships with a 5-inch display with 1080p HD resolution, a Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, and a 2,600 mAh internal battery. Those are all present in the One M8 as well, but the E8 ditches the Duo camera in favor of a 13-megapixel single shooter on the back of the device. You'll still be able to take large 5-megapixel photos with the front camera, but anyone disappointed by the lower-res Ultrapixel setup will be pleased to know that they get a device with a larger sensor.
    The differences between the M8 and E8 will likely be put down to aluminum vs. polycarbonate and Duo camera vs. 13-megapixel camera. The E8 maintains many of the key specs as well as having Motion Launch gestures, BoomSound, and Android 4.4 with HTC Sense 6. The E8 has the unique ability to serve as a dual SIM device. Prices and release dates have yet to be announced, but the dual SIM presence means this phone is likely destined for Asia and Europe. The phone will be sold in Maldives Blue,

Read more at http://www.mobileburn.com/22939/new...dual-sim-and-13-mp-camera#dlbJ0spVjHu9u3Ww.99

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, we'll never see this device, at least in this iteration, here in the States--the dual sim is a dead give away that this is destined for Asia, specifically China initially I believe.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd love to a One with a 13MP camera. But it certainly won't be coming to the states.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

5. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Probably the same camera that is in the desire 816 which really isn't all that much better.

6. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

... Cue the "why is everything above 5" crowd. and rants about all of its unwieldyness - is that even a word? :D

All seriousness though, this would get me back on board with HTC. The camera and bulky weight are 2 reasons not to get the current model. Now if only they would shrink the Jay Leno chin and make better use of the real estate. I could see myself buying HTC again.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Saw this and thought oohh, but then I see the camera lacks OIS so I don't think it'll be as good as my Nexus 5, plus it's a bit taller too, but very nice specs otherwise, good screen and powerful CPU, and of course the boomsound speakers. I reckon this will sell very well.