HTC One m7 or Galaxy S4?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jjusmo, May 30, 2014.

1. jjusmo macrumors regular

That's my problem, can't decide which one I want more. Surely it's my decision but I would like to get some opinions from you guys who have actually used these devices.

I have read plenty of reviews and comparisons but still I'm not sure... I heard the One has slightly better battery even though the S4 has more capacity, it's a TW problem I guess. And about those skins, TW against Sense, I like the look of Sense more and it doesn't have as much bloat as TW, right? But BlinkFeed(?) can't be removed and I really don't see myself using it much ar least now That I think about it. But I guess using a different launcher like Nova would get rid of it...?

Coming from a iPhone 5, looking forward to trying android again. It's been few years since I used the original Galaxy S and I know things have changed a lot lol I heard about ART, what does that mean or do? Also custom roms and rooting, not sure yet if I wanna do those things but is it easy to do these days? I know Samsung has Knox and it makes things difficult and loses warranty if triggered?

That's a lot of questions and I'm not expecting one person to answer all of them but I hope u helpful guys over here could give me some decision-helping opinions :)

2. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Don't know if it helps, but did you ever think of a nexus 5?
    I am not sure, but I believe you are not able to use ART on both devices that you mentioned, but you can do on the nexus 5.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The older M7 with Sense 6 update can use ART I believe. Not sure about the S4 4.4.2 however, you can on the S5 but not sure about the S4.

----------

Blinkfeed can be removed / turned off with newest Sense 6 update on the M7

4. jjusmo thread starter macrumors regular

So there is older and newer version of m7??

Okay that's good to know that BlinkFeed can be disabled if I want to.

And what exactly is this ART? I still don't know what it does or if it is useful to me/I want to use it if it's even possible..

5. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Actually, BlinkFeed can be turned off in Sense 5.5.

7. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Sadly, no ART on the M7, even with the latest Sense 6 update.

I still have a Developers Edition of the M7 and have to say, it's aging really well. Sense 6 on the M7 is very quick and I think HTC did a great job updating the design--looks just like what you see on the new M8, minus some of the functionality (tap to wake, gestures to wake). If I wasn't using an iPhone as my daily driver, I'd likely still be using it--haven't seen anything compelling enough from the newer flagships that would warrant an upgrade in my mind. I've been meaning to sell it simply because I don't need 3 phones but can't seem to bring myself to list it just yet. ;)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I had read international version did, but if not its a strange ommission. Not that it's made much difference performance wise on my M8 truth be told.

----------

No it's same M7, just that they released the new software that's on the M8 for the M7.

9. joe8232 macrumors regular

If it helps, I tried both (for a second phone to my iPhone 5) and settled on the s4. I really couldn't get on with the lack of front button on the htc one, I'm so used to just pressing it on my iPhone to get it to turn on. I'm sure if I persevered I'd get used to it but I'm impatient and perfectly happy with the s4.

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I say One. The battery is better and overall so is the performance and aesthetics.

11. jjusmo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your comments. I looked into Nexus 5 and it seems pretty interesting and has stock android so that's nice. But judging by reviews it has mediocre battery and camera.. For me the camera is not so important but battery life is. I'm a heavy user of my phone, and my iPhone gets average 4-6 hours of onscreen time. What kind of numbers would the Nexus or One get (and S4 but those two are more interesting to me ATM)?

12. viskon macrumors 6502

ART is not enabled on the S4 on 4.4.2. Battery life for me is pretty average - around 3 hours of screen time and around 13 hours on battery.

13. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

How do you measure iphone on screen time? I have not used an iphone for well over a year but the stats were "usage" as opposed actual screen on time.

14. jjusmo thread starter macrumors regular

Oh sorry I meant usage and didn't remember the right words..

15. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

If battery life is important to you, have a look on the LG G2, awesome phone and quite cheap now...

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Agreed--best battery life of last generation phones. Only thing better may be the Note 3 and considering some of the reports I've read about Note 3 battery life suffering after the KitKat update, G2 may be the outright best battery performer.

Heavy users likely won't be satisfied with the One M7 or Galaxy S4. I'm a moderate user for the most part but on those days of heavy use on my M7, I'd usually have to charge it sometime during the day, else run out of juice by early evening.

17. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Aesthetics and build material aside the S4 is a solid option. Still one of the best handling 5" 1080p phones on the market, decent camera, expandable storage and replaceable batteries (to expel battery life concerns). Plus it has a few extra quirks like an IR blaster and capacitive buttons which frees up screen space yet still manages to keep bezel size to a minimum.