Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
In fact, the HTC One M7 came before the 5s. With that, HTC made the first ever all-aluminum phone. The 5/5s had glass covering the antennas, instead, HTC managed to use the plastic insulators to seperate the top/bottom band to make the metal the antenna. This antenna design was what Apple copied (along with the full-metal body!) in the iPhone 6, kudos to HTC. Before this, no one had made a full metal phone with no plastic/glass antenna covers.

If Apple wasn't copying HTC, why didn't they use the 4's antenna design make a full metal phone with the 5? or 5s? Quite simply, HTC were first.

HTC had two-generations of all-aluminum One's before the iPhone 6 came along. Apple ripping off this "truly revolutionary" design – as Apple would call it – is what you call shameful.

No, you are factually wrong, on every point. You misunderstand the engineering science of the antennas.

In the 5 and 5S ( as in the 4&4S)the antennas were the metal bands on the top and bottom edge of the unibody metal body. The glass sections separated those antennas from the metal back midsection of the 5 and 5S. Two pairs of other plastic inserts separated the metal antennas from the sides of the frame.

The antennas were NOT underneath the glass. They were not covers. The glass was the insulators just as plastic is today. Look it up.

So Apple was first in every regard and once again changed the industry as I said in my post above. Even Samsung now uses exposed metal bands (top and bottom, with pairs of insulating strips) on their top phones ( Note 5 as one example, similar to the iPhone 5).

PS: I think you, and others, are confusing the wifi/BT/GPS antennas with the cellular ones in the iPhone 5. The external metals bands top/bottom are cellular—behind the top glass panel are the wifi/BT/GPS.

Yes, APPLE was first. The 5 cellular antenna is similar to the 4, but the Wifi bands were moved in the 5 iteration.

6cbb9928726121170afe08ad77dd514e.jpg

Last edited:

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, anyone who thinks any other company might have designed something without an Apple template is a fool. And when Apple adds notifications, or other design elements it's a magical innovation. :rolleyes: Some of you guys are ridiculous.

I only use Apple stuff for computer/phones/whatever, and after using a Note 4 for a month, did not like Android and the lack of control they have over the carriers. But a superior product does not mean everyone else is copying, not innovating, etc. Surface vs iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil? Come on, guys. Competition and trying to refine and improve each others ideas is what will ultimately give us the best products. The whining and lawsuits should stop.

That is beside the point though when we talk about ergonomical design here. Look at the thing!! You can't honestly tell me HTC would have released this design if the iPhone 6 design wasn't as we know it now.

I welcome competition with open arms but you can't sit there and say the HTC isn't a copy. I'm not the only one that thinks this - see youtube.

clarencet

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2015
Uh, people...

-- HTC AND APPLE ARE CROSS-LICENSED:

A lot of posters here seem to have forgotten (or never knew) that Apple and HTC have a full utility patent cross-license. In other words, Apple and HTC have already agreed to the limits of what can be done.

The license specifies that HTC cannot look too much like an iPhone, so Apple has 30 days to file a complaint if they wish.

However, such a complaint is unlikely to happen, since the same cross license is what allowed Apple to use HTC's proprietary and first-of-its-kind full metal case antenna design, albeit with thicker lines so they wouldn't be copying HTC too closely.

-- THE OFT-MENTIONED LINES ARE NOT WHAT MOST PEOPLE THINK:

A lot of people also seem really confused about antenna "lines" and think that the iPhone 5 is somehow similar. Hardly! (Also see Anandtech quote below.)

The iPhone 5 used glass tops and bottoms to let its internal antennas get through. It was just like years of previous phones that used plastic or other RF transparent materials where the internal antennas are. Nothing special at all.

OTOH, the HTC One was the world's first all metal smartphone design where the metal tops and bottoms WERE the antennas, with a case that was seamlessly bonded out of metal and plastic. LATER on, the iPhone 6 also switched to using the metal top and bottom antenna design.

(No, the iPhone does not transmit through the plastic lines. The lines are insulators, not windows. Cellular doesn't work through tiny windows. That was something that had to be taught to Jon Ive as well, since he mistakenly thought that radios could go through metal or thin windows back when he first started designing the iPhone case. No doubt he was a big proponent of Apple using the HTC design later on.)

To quote Anandtech (when Anand was still there) back in 2013:

"Before you go and say that HTC copied Apple, remember that the reality of product development cycles means that HTC was well underway with the One around the time the 4S was out."

Great post. Sadly one of the very few intelligent (and correct) posts in this thread. Brand loyalty is indeed blind.

Reactions: satcomer

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Great post. Sadly one of the very few intelligent (and correct) posts in this thread. Brand loyalty is indeed blind.

It's an 'alright' post that brings attention to some things, but is factually wrong on most.

The iPhone 4S uses the external top and bottom metal bands for cellular antennas, as does the 5&5S. Only the wifi, GPS and BT signals poke through the glass windows in the 5's series. You will find that in Andatech's 4S reviews. Those other antennas were on the outside too in the iPhone 4 model too.

So Apple was the first to have external cellular metal antennas on the top and bottom, on a unibody construction, not HTC.

Yes, HTC and Apple ended their lawsuits with a 10yr utility cross license. What is in the details is not public, but it IS known that HTC had the weaker position. Apple pays NO money to HTC, but HTC pays a fee to Apple for each HTC phone sold, and a lump sum probably up front too. Apple Pays Nothing to HTC

Basically it allowed HTC to survive.

Just like HTC, Apple has things in the works years ahead of launch, Including patents, going back to 2009 at least, on active tuning of external antennas and influence of body parts on those antennas.

One concludes that Apple has the dominant patent position, and it is not even public knowledge if the cross license even involves antennas. But assuming it does, companies cross license, because perhaps there are bits and pieces they each need from each other, or avoid costly ligation. But if it's an unequal payment structure, as it is here, that means Apple had most of the propriety intellectual property, and first.

Last edited:
Reactions: FFR

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
All this "who copied who" BS is so elementary school. You copied me! Did not! Did too!

Grow up! They're just phones!

The real problems are things like global warming, nuclear waste, overpopulation, low wages, radicalism, etc. etc.

Every second we humans waste worrying about this kind of BS is one second we get closer to this planet being uninhabitable for us.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Usually I would agree that the copying talk is silly. Its usually about things that are just "quality of life" improvements that nobody uses to base their purchasing decisions on.

But the A9 does have a distinctive iPhone6 look to it. it's not just a little here, a little there, but the whole thing, side by side, looks like a really bad KIRF.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Any can say "hey, u copied us" on the surface of stuff.

Besides, its not copied because the camera is not in the corner. it's the same stuff as saying "look i used exactly the same blue on my website, therefore I copied u"

ya ok,,, good luck with trying sue me over THAT.

Freddyb123

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
Nope ! It had metal at the top and bottom and had Apple gate which is just antenna bands on the sides, but the main antenna was behind the glass. HTC was the first to have an all metal body, and Apple copied the EXACT antenna bands, as well as the long slender body for easier one handed use, HTC's 5mp front facing camera, and even HTC's zoe camera ! The A9 and iPhone look alike due to the features the iPhone copied from HTC , not the other way around !!

Reactions: kdarling

Freddyb123

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
OOk once again Apple receives credit for something they stole or copied !! Basically most of the upgrades of the iPhone 6 and 6s were copied off HTC !! The iPhone 6 copied the design of the HTC one series !! IPhone copied HTC's all metal body, and HTC's antenna bands EXACTLY !! IPhone copied HTC's long slender body for easier one handed use, iPhone copied HTC's 5mp front facing camera, iPhone even copied HTC's ZOE camera !! HTC has had this design way before the iPhone had it !! But yet Apple fanboys are talking about bottom speakers which are found on other phones, and rounded edges... HTC has had rounded edges , look up the HTC butterfly !! Some people even said HTC copied Apple's round camera and that HTC's camera even sticks out like the iPhones lol.... Really, because just about all phones either have a circular camera lens or a squared lens lol, or did Apple invent circular cameras that petrude the phones body ? Because I'm pretty sure my htc flip phone from 9 years ago had a circular camera lens that petruded the body !! The phones don't look alike because of the speaker on the bottom, the A9 only has 2 colors that are similar to the iPhone !! The finger print scanner is seen on all phones now, and was first seen on Motorola NOT IPHONE !! But everything the iPhone vopie from HTC was first seen or found strictly on HTC !! Apple copied everything ! They stole the idea for face time, which they have been to court many times for ! They stole the idea for a finger print scanner from Motorola ! The even copied patented technology for their previous A7, A8 & A9 chip !! pole claimed Samsung copied them last year and you seen what happened their !! Apple needed up paying out the most money and had to write a public apology for false accusations !! The Samsung looked nothing like the iPhones design ! Iphon ripped off HTC not the other way around !! The look alike because of the metal body, and antenna bands, and the fact that the iPhone even copied the HTC's long slender body !!! I mean how can HTC copy something they did first ?? If HTC looks that much like the iPhone from thinning their phone out, and putting the speaker at the bottom then it's because your just now seeing how bad Apple copied HTC !! And the worst part about it, the A9 looks just as nice as the iPhone 6, yet has more RAM, more cpu power, better battery, better display, better audio playback, ect.... All for 1/3 less then the iPhone, and the A9 runs a whole lot smoother and more fluid then the iPhone 6 !!

Freddyb123

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
What? The iPhone 6 and 6s are visually identical.
What are you talking about ? IPhone had the same look forever, but they didn't change their look to the iPhone 6 until after HTC had put out the one series the HTC one m7, and m8, all which have the all metal body, same Exact anetanna bands which the iPhone 6 copied , log slender body for easier one handed use which iPhone 6 copied , iPhone copied HTC's 5mp front facing camera, and even the zoe camera which iPhone 6s copeid ! The A9 looks just like all the other HTC phones, just thinner and it has a bottom speaker !! These are the only similarities of the iPhone 6!! The reason they resemble eachothwr isn't a bottom speaker, it's the metal body, the long slender shape, and antenna bands that the iPhone 6 copied off the HTC one series phones,high predate the iPhone 6 by atleast a year and a half !! WHAT THAT !! Apple copied someone... Nooo... I mean come on dude, Apple copies everything !! They copied face time, they copied the finger print scanner off Motorola, they even stole the technology for the A7, A8,& A9 chips Apple fanboys brag about so much !! This is why Apple's in court all the time !! When's the last time we've seen innovation from Apple ?? The only innovation Apple has these days is copied ideas and technology, that they have put an I in front of lol

Freddyb123

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
Wow what's this the HTC one m7 which predates the iPhone 6 by a year and a half with the same metal body, antenna bands, long slender body for easier one handed use ?? Wow and people say htc copied what off the iPhone 6 ??

Attachments

• iphone2a-630 (1).jpg
    iphone2a-630 (1).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 55

Freddyb123

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
HTC one m7 predates iPhone 6, , yet people claim HTC copied Apple's iPhone 6 ?? Well here's where the iPhone 6 got its design cues from, all metal body, antenna bands, long slender body for easier one handed use, yup it all came from HTC, and was done first and only by HTC !!

Attachments

• htc-one-m7-vs-iphone-5s-design.jpg
    htc-one-m7-vs-iphone-5s-design.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 94

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
HTC is a dying horse, but I agree with that statement.

Everything from the "4.7 and height/width dimensions, the iPhone 6/6s copied alot of what the M7 looked except made the sides rounder like the M8 and UGLIER on the back.

HTC One M7 wasn't my favorite smartphone ever but I still consider it the most beautiful phone I have ever owned with the glacial silver surpassing any iPhone design in its history. If only the battery life and camera was on par with iPhones, I would get the M7 again in a heartbeat.

HTC were making touchscreen smartphones and beautiful form factors long before Apple made iPhone. It was Apple copying a smartphone pioneer this time with the iPhone 6 series. Yes, Apple copied them. Apple also copied Matiad Duarte's card UI in webOS, Android's recent apps menu, and Google Now cards. I laugh when people talk crap about Matias Duarte. Apple, ahem, borrowed UI elements from him.
Apple is just as guilty copying others but their fanatics pretend they did it first or the best. Copying the antenna lines of the M7 actually looks worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.