HTC to get Adobe Flash - is Apple going to follow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonetester, Jul 12, 2009.

1. iphonetester macrumors member

2. 2000m macrumors member

2000m

i had flash on my ppc6700 years ago...some flash sites lagged but it worked

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Only if it isn't a crappy battery sucker. If it gets added, I just hope Apple adds an On/Off toggle in settings. It would be nice to have for a bunch of sites that are totally built around it, but mostly I want it off if it kills battery life.

On a related note, does anybody outside of Netflix use Silverlight? I'm hoping a streaming app will be developed, but that wouldn't necessarily need Silverlight or Flash (see YouTube).

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think...

1) Apple doesn't want users to be able to load apps that are not "approved" by Apple (and/or that don't pay them a royalty). Just as with Java.

2) If Apple allows Flash, it will be crippled. See (1) above.

5. firewood macrumors 604

Apple considers Adobe Flash support to be a downgrade, not an upgrade. They will instead lead instead of follow, and provide support for newer HTML5 standards.

Tell your Flash-based web site to upgrade instead.

imho.

6. iphonetester thread starter macrumors member

Good point you are making. But are you sure HTML5 can replace flash?
    Also, while the transition happenning there still flash based elements in HTML on many websites. So I still think Apple needs to add at least an ability to view flash

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

There is an disagreement regarding single video codec standard in the HTML5 standard. Therefore neither Ogg Theora or H.264 is in it. No streaming video is in. Source: ZDNet Asia

Regarding flash. The last I read about it was that Apple and Adobe were working on it. My self. I hope it will not come until we have a good flash version that is not the ugly mess we have today. Introducing todays flash version in iphone would be a killer application as in it would kill the iphone just launching a flash site.

8. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Adobe are doing lots of work on stopping stream ripping of content in Flash - that is something that content providers need legally. The HTML5 specification makes it trivial.

Hence HTML5 will be a failure - Flash isn't going anywhere.

Phazer

9. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Then I guess you have missed all the software for ripping flash contents, offline site viewers etc. It's not so easy to stop flash content from being downloaded.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Not getting flash onto the iPhone is a bit of a money spinner for Apple.

Think of all the games that you can play in Flash on your computer for free but have been made into an iPhone game that you now pay for.

11. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

This is precisely why it won't / can't happen. The app store would quickly wither and die. Right now, they've got a good thing going - for both users and developers. Apple has made developers out of many people and gave them a chance to be noticed.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just like apple approach to MMS. Lets not support it because it is a "downgrade"

Apple is a greed whore when it comes to it. It does not support it because it can not make money off of it.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not really. We had online games before the app store, but people still clamoured for an app store. That's because most online games are rubbish, and with a touchscreen wouldn't work particularily well anyway. People want apps to work offline and have the hardware acceleration that a local install requires.

Phazer

14. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

dunno. maybe they have better stuff than flash.. :D

15. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

truw. when they take some time to do work on sth, it turns out to be better than we expected, like copy n paste :)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think a company/organization is going to completely revamp its website, dropping flash because one phone that currently has 10.8 percent market share cannot run flash, especially when other smartphones can..

17. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

The answer seems obvious to me....if Flash support is that important, buy an HTC phone. Flash has been available for years on those phones in some form or another.

18. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Yeah, and that's where all those juicy, bad, nasty viruses and trojans are hidden.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Needs to...

Or what?

They'll suffer another 25 months of amazing sales numbers? I'll be they're really scared.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Apple may support Flash someday, but not unless it's a version that Apple writes. Supposedly, from the opinion of some, Flash is on the way out. IDK, but I wished they'd do something, since it's irritating not being to view pages.

21. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Well, I'm keen on an iPod Touch or iPhone but only when it supports Flash, but not now. So while Apple hold off, I'm not buying. I think I might not be the only one, too.

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Am I the only one thats glad tons of intensive flash ads and all that other junk don't load up when I use Safari on my iPhone/iPod Touch? I personally hate flash, it is CPU intensive (use a old PowerMac G3 to view a flash video or game), and a drain on battery. But thats just me.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, and I'm actually pleased that those sites don't work on my phone as well.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Most app games you can find at simple FREE online game sites like miniclip.com.

25. milerich macrumors regular

I use Firefox, and they have an option to save flash videos from almost any website that uses flash. I do it with youtube all the time so that I can view or show the videos to others without needing an internet connection.