HTC Touch Diamond Vs. iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benfilan, Aug 24, 2008.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

My dad has decided to get rid of his iPhone 3G and get something else...right now he's leaning toward a HTC Touch Diamond, just wondering if anyone here has used/owns one and whether you would recommend it as a iPhone replacement?

Cheers guys:)

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Tell him to wait for Android, the google phone OS. HTC should be releasing a phone with it soon.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And it sounds like a very nice phone, but it doesn't look like AT&T has first dibbs on it... is that a concern?

4. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

we're in the UK, he's sold his iPhone and has bought a HTC unlocked.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ooops, sorry. Is Android expected to be available unlocked, anyway? Which HTC did he get, and does he like it?

6. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

he literally just bought it an hour or so after i posted! seems he couldn't wait :rolleyes:

its the HTC Touch diamond, looks pretty nice. i'm gonna see what his is like and if its really good i'll get rid of my iPhone and but one, i'm getting really frustrated/irritated with the 3G iPhone :eek:

7. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

what in particular are you frustrated/irritated about?

8. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

well lately i've been having trouble with the phone locking up when a call comes in, it freezes and I can't answer the call. Also reception has been pretty poor, i usually get one or two bars. this has been pretty much constant and numerous hard restarts and restores haven't made much difference.

It annoying because I LOVE it as a phone, if only it would work properly. :rolleyes:

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd stay away from HTC devices. When it comes to using them as an actual phone, the performance and usability is pretty poor.

I'd go with a soon-to-be-released Treo Pro if you want a WM device or wait until the Xperia X1 comes out and see how it does.

Waiting for Android phones is also a good option at this point.

10. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

well for me i think i'm gonna stick with my iPhone and just wait for the next software update to fix things. i'll play around with my dad's new touch diamond and see how it performs.

thanks for the info!

11. starzplacez macrumors member

I had to jump in and vouch for High Tech here. I have personally owned 3 HTC going back when it had ties with Dopod and I am currently using the HTC Touch Color. Beside a few "standard" wm6 glitches, I have found the phone to be the best I have used in PDA phones so far. Sure, it's not the fastest thing you can find and it doesn't have the fancy interface of OSX or maybe symbian, but it's a very solid device and I am a happy 8 months owner. As with any WM devices, you really have to take the time and patience on using and configuring the phone to your liking, once that's completed, the phones tend to grow on you. I am actually debating the 3G iPhone and the Diamond as well, but I am withholding judgements until I get to play with both. Hope your dad likes the Diamond and post some more feedbacks!! :)

--Jack

12. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The HTC Diamond is a nice phone, but it does lock up a little and isn't as "thin" as the iPhone. It's smaller allround though.

My main gripe, as with every one of these phones, is the "internet experience". For me, the iPhone has the ultimate internet experience you can get on such a small device. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the rest.

13. GuyCalledPete macrumors member

I have a HTC Touch Diamond - generally a nice phone, and it was a close run thing for me between the iPhone 3G and the Touch Diamond. The Diamond won out because of the size, for me the iPhone is just a bit too large to be pocketable. The biggest drawback of the Diamond though is the battery life...I tend to use a lot of the features (MSN messenger logged in all day, GPS whenever I go somewhere new for the first time, bluetooth from time to time, etc) and sometimes the battery won't even last a full day.

All in all a reasonable phone though - but I will admit that the iPhone has a nicer GUI to use - more reactive and more polished. Another advantage that the Diamond has over the iPhone though is to have apps running in the background, which I understand is a limitation of the iPhone?

-- Pete.

14. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

Hey Jack :)

well, my dad got the touch diamond in the post two days ago, and yes, its a beautiful little device, but it doesn't cut it for me. my dad likes it though - but then again, he never really used the iPod part of his iPhone - something which I think the Touch doesn't match.

Other than that, he's experienced worse battery life on his touch than on the iPhone 3g.

So, in short, its nice, but i'll stick with the iPhone. for all my bitching, it is still an awesome piece of kit. :)

15. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

This is something i've come to learn as well - the iPhone performs tasks like internet browsing so well it makes everything seem pretty crappy in comparison. so, from this moment on, I promise not to be such a big grouch about the iPhone 3G ;)