HTC Touch Pro2 Hands On. Worthy Competitor to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by =MuLti-CeLL=, Feb 18, 2009.

1. markgamber macrumors 6502

Works for me. My understanding is it'll be available in the states later in the year.

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

3. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Same here.

I like Apple's approach to not having hardly any movable parts except for the silence slider, I mean, I guess you could call that a mechanical moving part but on a different scale than sliding your phone in half and tilting. :D

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Same here, i'm not going back to physical keyboard and I hope Apple doesn't ever release a new iPhone with it

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Same here. When first starting to watch the video it seemed ok. Then I saw how FAT it was and almost stopped watching but decide to continue. Then I saw the reason it was so FAT. It was the extra piece of hardware called a keyboard. Stopped watching at that point. Again, another device that is so inferior to the iPhone IMHO.....

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The Touch Diamond2 also exists as a more direct iPhone competitor as it is sans a physical keyboard.

7. locifcan macrumors newbie

HTC Touch pro2 & HTC magic all looks good. I'd like to see more competitors to iPhone. Technology improves in that way.

8. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

As exciting as the pre?!? No way. And for one reason - the htc has a cool looking front interface but it's WINDOWS MOBILE!!! The palm webOS is lightyears beyond windows mobile. Windows mobile is incredibly unusable. It's horrible. Sure you can set the alarm in htc touch flow interface but if you want to download an app or email someone - you're right there in windows mobile.

The palm pre uses webOS which is better than the iPhone OS in my opinion. But I think everyone will agree windows mobile = horrible and that's what every HTC phone runs

9. northy014 macrumors regular

It's pretty cool, but I can't help thinking that if they actually put Android on one of their really good designs (e.g. touch pro2/diamond2) then they would have a proper iPhone challenger. They're not going to be able to poach customers from Apple at this rate, WinMo really doesn't cut it, even with the nice little skin Palm puts on it.

10. markgamber macrumors 6502

Everyone? Really? I think it's pretty nice, actually, having improved considerably over the past couple of years. But what do I know, I only own a few. In addition, some HTC phones run Android. And Windows Mobile is used for more than just phones. Fun, huh? You should become a politician.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't agree at all. I find winmo easy to use for most common daily tasks. And I love the customization that's available, the apps that iPhone owners have to jailbreak to get (if even then), the Today screen, and the multitasking.

However, I also like the iPhone. And the Pre. And others. No need to hate one, in order to like another.

12. hsk macrumors regular

I had the Mogul for a bit and I have looked at the Touch Pro a few times - almost bought one twice - but that thickness, the smaller screen and the slide out ended up holding me back. The new version is a cool device - but it is still thick and really, the Diamond 2 with that big screen would be more like an iPhone (for onscreen typing). I have been with WM for over 2 years now and I really think Apple, Android and Palm are on the right track. HTC had better continue to bump up its Android offerings, IMO.

13. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

14. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Ah yes, I forgot about the G1. And I never said WinMo was used on just phones.

Also... Really? "Pretty Nice"? That doesn't cut it. Does it compare at all to the iPhone or WebOS UI? No.

15. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

htc phones always look nice but windows mobile is just so clunky it runs as bad as windows on a pc. It is powerful and powerful hardware has to be used to run it but it still is junky. I have an iphone and nokia E71 both osx and s60 are 5x more stable than windows mobile.

16. marine610610 macrumors regular

Seeing as how i have Sprint, and think ATT/Apple's iPhone(Pay for data and then 30.00 more for family text..FU ATT) deal is a complete ripoff, i was thinking about this phone.

My question is, since i only have Apple computers in my house, am i limited in how i can interact with his phone when its connected? Will Windows Mobile interact ok with OSX?

17. markgamber macrumors 6502

Well let's see. I've been using Slingplayer on Windows Mobile for two years. Sirius at least as long. I use TomTom with the built in GPS for turn by turn directions. OR I can use my external Holux GPS via bluetooth. I can use my stereo headset for phone calls, music, streaming media, video, any kind of audio at all and I've also paired up my Apple keyboard for when I need to type more than a few words into the spreadsheet, word processor or email. I have two extended batteries in case I find myself in the middle of nowhere for a few days, a physical keyboard in case I don't feel like using the on-screen keyboard and with the relatively new PointUI on top of everything, it takes one or maybe two screen taps to do 95% of anything I'm going to do in a day's time. I also get the time, weather and to-do list right on the top level screen. LOL....oh yeah, I almost forgot, I can tether to a laptop using one screen tap, record video run things like Slingplayer, TCPMP and so on as background processes all with the stock system. It even comes out of the box with AT&T's TV program and XM radio on it.

And the best part? I can write an app using any or all of it's entire API and have it available for download immediately for a market of tens of millions of users who don't whine every time any application costs more than 99 cents.

There's three iPhones, a Blackberry, two Palms and a couple LG's in my house in addition to two Windows Mobile phones. I can actually compare them and use what's best for me rather than just parrot the same tired of bullsh*t like "it's clunky", "it's slow" and "it's unusable". But since I didn't want to offend anyone who enjoys being small fish in a small pond, I went with "pretty nice". Sorry, I'll stick to meaningless rants with no basis in fact using small words from now on.

18. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Daaaaaaaaayum!

I think its awesome you can do all of that on your WM phone.

I still want an iPhone though. I know, I'm one of the sheep. :D

19. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Yes, windows mobile will interact fine, buy you have to buy MarkSpace missing Sync for it to do so. It is not too expensive of a program though. If I remember, about 40$.

20. marine610610 macrumors regular

Thank you, ill look into that...

21. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

meh, i like the bottom toolbar, but that's about it

22. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Just like my women :eek: