HTC Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Aug 27, 2007.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Anyone else noticed "similarities" between the iPhone and HTC Touch UI? Is HTC now copying Apple as well?

Also, a bit off-topic but this is the first HTC phone in the UK that has been advertised with its original name and not SPV or XDA or whatever.

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I think HTC did a good job NOT making an iPhone clone. We are sure to see tons of touch type phones coming seeing the success of the iPhone and the Touch at least has it's own look.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yes, physically the HTC looks different but the UI has iPhone written all over it.

4. wako macrumors 65816

The only thing I think the HTC Touch has copied off of the iPhone is the scrolling...

other than that I think the GUI has its very own look:confused:

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Although HTC touch has some similarities to the iPhone it is a far shot from being a copy. The GUI is very different from the iPhone, way too different to say HTC touch is copying the iPhone.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Actually, no. I think it's far more likely that the iPhone will have to copy the Touch in the future.

That is, if the iPhone ever ends up with lots of third party apps. Clearly Apple wants control over that, but it's too late... there will be apps available, and as people get less afraid of customization (how sad is that, anyway?) then the simple one-page menu system starts to suck. You need organization.

You can just scroll through lots of apps, but it makes more sense to organize them by major type.... programs, utilities, and multimedia. Now you start to look more like the Touch's cube paradigm (also used roughly by many other launchers).

Then there's the niceness of a customizable homescreen with personalized information.

The iPhone is simplistic, which is fine for new users. But as users grow more comfortable, or for power users, the interface will need to beef up.

7. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

hey..... does anyone know if the HTC touch is compatible with MAC? i doubt it cuz its a windows interface, and we all know how microsoft likes to get back at apple buy not making their products compatible... see the ZUNE for more info...

maybe a 3rd party way to connect the HTC touch and a mac perhaps... any suggestions?

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The HTC Touch is not made by Microsoft, although it has Windows Mobile on it.

From another forum:

9. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

With a lot of people saying the Touch is a iPhone clone it's kind of funny because the Touch was out before the iPhone... (not in the US thought) But having a Touch before switching over to a iPhone I can say they are nothing alike and the iPhone clearly comes out on top with the exception of 3rd party apps. Which was never that big of a deal to me. I'm glad I made the switch to the iPhone.

10. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

You lot do realize this thread is form the middle of last year right?

11. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

What does that matter? Still funny how people say the Touch is a clone of the iPhone when it clearly is not.

12. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

Could not be farther from the truth... nothing like the iPhone. (and that's a good thing)

13. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Never siad that, just saying its weird how this thread is suddenly getting all this attention because someone dug it up...

14. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

Thought you were refering to my post. Sorry about that.

15. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

Yes, but some of us have no choice in the matter. I currently have a 2 year contract with Sprint, and obviously I am unable to go to AT&T—which the iPhone is exclusive to (for now)—so I cannot get the iPhone, as much as I'd love to.

So I purchased the htc Touch instead. And I must say, I love it. Even though it has a Windows OS, it's still awesome. However, per the earlier question regarding whether or not we can sync the htc Touch with a Mac, can we? So far, HTC doesn't have a download for it. Sucks!

16. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

I'm not saying the Touch is a bad phone at all. I'd say it's the nicest phone with WM on it today. I just get bored with my phones pretty quick. It was time for something new.

17. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

That's funny, I'm the same exact way. That's why I got the Touch. I was so bored with the same, boring interface with my Treo (Palm really needs to update) that I wanted something more spectacular in a smartphone. When I saw the Touch had the same idea as iPhone, I jumped at it.

However, I must admit, I'm still getting used to the virtual keyboard. :rolleyes:

18. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You can sync your Touch with a Mac using Missing Sync (I just did it myself yesterday). I downloaded and installed the program and it worked fine, although it did create some duplicates in ical and address book. Luckily it's very easy to remove dupes on a Mac (address book has a "remove duplicates" function built right into it and there's a free script available that takes care of it for ical). Just make sure you do a full backup of your Touch before you sync it to your Mac so that you can restore it in the event that something gets really screwed up (should be ok though). Also, you might want to go through your info once it syncs up just to make sure everything came through ok. Because WM6 and address book handle things a bit differently, you get some weird messages and some of your contacts' email addresses may be out of whack (this is because address book has work, home, etc. where WM6 has email1, email2, etc.). My Touch actually syncs much quicker with Missing Sync than it did via ActiveSync on my Windows PC too.

I'm definitely going to purchase the full version of the program (I think it's like $40) but you should give the 14-day free trial a shot first.

19. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

Thanks for your advice, but I had already downloaded (and purchased) the full version of Missing Sync. You're right, it's effortless! I love it. Thanks for the suggestion on the duplicates in address book. I hadn't known it was there, so after I read your thread, I merged them. Thanks!

I think it sucks that we have to pay $40 because HTC is behind the times and doesn't have a Mac sync version free with the $500 phone, but oh well. I guess they're still in a PC-world, unfortunately.

Regardless, I love Missing Sync and hadn't even heard of it if it weren't for this thread. So thanks for the suggestions. I love it!!! Now I don't have to worry if I lose my information on my phone.