HTC Video Calling! (aka LAG-MANIA)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

2. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Wow that was pretty awful. All the FaceTime calls I've made with my girlfriend have been smooth and lag free. Plus the integration of FaceTime with a normal call puts it in it's own class of usefulness.

Good post. I'd love to be able to make video calls over 3G, but not if it is as laggy as in that video.

3. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Absolutely. If it were even close to that bad, it wouldn't even be worth it. I love how in the video, the Android fanboy tries to say that the feature "works pretty well." Then he notices how bad the lag is and hurries up and mentions its "not perfect." He also doesn't fail to mention how the iphone 4 videocalling is limited to wifi. At least facetime works.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not the best, but for a fair test, they should have tried it over wifi.

5. isaac65 macrumors member

It was over wifi, haha. You can see the wifi connection icon in the status bar at the beginning of the video. Man, that quality was horrible. I can only imagine what it's like off wifi.

6. thetexan macrumors 6502a

In all fairness it was through an independent service called Qik.

http://qik.com/blog/

As you can see that video was made before the client was updated, so it might be better now. A buddy of mine did a video call using Fring I believe, or Skype, over Sprint's 3G network on his EVO and there was no lag at all. It was a great experience, but video calling isn't my thing.

7. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even notice it was over wifi. Thats even worse. Even IF this was the quality on 3G, it is still unforgivable. It really shows how ignorant some Android fans are. They badmouth Facetime for being wifi only, but at least it works, and works well.

This video doesn't even demonstrate all the headaches you go through just setting up the video call.

8. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Could you have him post a video?

9. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Can you pm me a private link to your end of a hot facetime session with your girlfriend? (By your end I mean you are talking to her and I want you to be blocked out in a little corner)

10. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

What a creeper.