Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
California
Which standard do you follow? I follow XHTML 1.0 personally, is there any specific reasons why you follow one particular standard?

benneh

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2006
others can give you a better answer, but for me, my reason would be because XHTML is a stricter, and because it incorporates xml, it is cross device compatible..

that's all i need to know :)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I use XHTML 1.0 and some times 1.1. I like it because it is stricter, uses lowercase tags, and is the future. HTML 4 is old and showing its wear. No point in making new web pages with an older standard when there is a better one that can be used. XHTML allows for more things and being based on XML really opens up some doors.

stndn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2006
earth
I used to use XHTML 1.0 for about two years before moving back to HTML 4. Nowadays, I use strict HTML 4 only.

Why the move back to HTML 4? At one point in life, I came across this article: Beware of XHTML, and that's what made me return to HTML 4.

Either XHTML or HTML can be made strict. It all depends on how you "write your code". What's important is to make your page follow the rules. Also, don't forget to use the correct DTD. Use strict DTDs if possible, and validate as necessary (if you feel like it).

Btw, HTML can use lowercase tags also. The use of uppercase tags was leftover from the old days where they want to make finding the tags easier in their source code. ,)

Strict is what you made it. Just follow your heart and don't let the "web experts" make you what you are not.

-stndn.

Edit: This forum link has another interesting take on the whole debate. It's quite long but definitely informative.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
With XHTML you have to be careful to write things like <br />, not <br/> for compatibility with browsers.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I was about to write a small diatribe about XHTML vs HTML based on this article, but since something else about has been posted (and said more eloquently that I would have), I'll echo the above sentiment:

Use what you want, use a strict doctype, and make sure your page validates. If you have all that, you're doing great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.