Html 5

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by puffnstuff, Apr 10, 2010.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I just do not get why people think it is some sort of scripting language. Reading through some of the posts in the flash threads posted in the frontpage is making my head hurt.

Just build games in html5, switch the ads to html5, adobe needs to build html5 tools,html5 is the future and on and on.

WTH are they talking about??? I wish these people on this html 5 bandwagon would google what html is and understand those pretty demos they have been looking at used javascript without it those demos would not work and those videos they have been looking at took a lot more then just <video></video>

edit: my point is some focus needs to be more around things like javascript,codecs, CSS3 animation,etc so people understand more development needs to happen in those areas before we can fully utilize those html 5 tags

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I think when the I.T. pros are referring to HTML5, they are referring to HTML5, CSS3, & JS. It's just easier to say HTML5. Especially when most average people out there know or kind of know that HTML is referring to the internet in some way. It's a way for the I.T. pros to relate it to the non-I.T. people out there.

3. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

But what about the non web users do they understand?

On one hand it doesn't matter I suppose as long as it works let the user think it was done entirely in html.

On the other hand they are expecting way too much and want it done now. I understand it is common place for the user to not know but it seems there is an influx of people that think they know. Which may or may not pose issues to development.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, programs like iWeb make people feel web design is easy, when they don't even know how to spell CSS. HTML5 has become a bit of a loaded term and I do think, like CANEHDN mentioned, that it's easier to just say that than the real changes. Outside of web creators, people don't know what JavaScript is or AJAX, or any other web technology. They don't even really know what HTML is.

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Would you rather call the new wave HTML5 or WEB 3 point 0

Thats really what this is boiling down to, HTML5 has become the term for describing the next wave of web technologies including CSS3, HTML5 and the reintroduction of a Javascript(This time optimised, and running on something beefier than a Pentium 2).