HTML/CSS Web Design Help...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jdl8422, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I am designing a site for the company I work for. I am using dreamweaver to code html and CSS. I am previewing it on my mac in safari and Camino. The site looked like I wanted it. When I got to work I viewed in on a pc, IE7, and all the content was shifted. I was under the impression that it does not matter going from MAC to PC. What do I need to consider when doing the site.

2. oidrovo macrumors newbie

Could be a number of things

Do you have it posted somewhere or supply a screenshot of both the Safari and IE versions. Need a few more specifics.

3. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

4. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

it's not a operating system issue, it's a browser issue.

Welcome to web design!

5. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Indeed. Microsoft has its own international browser standard, so it would seem... sigh.....:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticisms_of_Internet_Explorer

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Your right! Bill does what he wants.

But yah, if you really want to do anything in web design, you have to learn the quarks of each browser. I'm sure there will be a day when we can all work together, but who knows when!! Sure would make our jobs easier!

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Don't ever get advice from whoever told you that. :) Like others have said, it doesn't have anything to do with the operating system, but the browsers themselves. IE, Firefox and Safari all have different quirks (IE has the most by far) that can potentially cause things to look incorrect. Knowing how to fix them is just another part of the job of a web designer.

Learn to hand code. It's the only way you will learn how to prevent and squash browser bugs. For starters, you can look up common bugs here: http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html