HTML editor on OS X Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reddevil0728, Aug 21, 2012.

1. reddevil0728 macrumors regular

What HTML editor can one use on OS X Mountain Lion? Something like Microsoft Frontpage.

2. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

If a WYSIWYG program is what you are looking for then try Dreamweaver.

But if you are comfortable with code I would suggest you try Espresso or Coda.

3. Glowd79 macrumors member

If you are looking for a html editor without WYSIWYG, my vote goes to Coda from panic: http://panic.com/coda/

I found dreamweaver cumbersome to use...

4. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

Are they free?

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Nope, Dreamweaver is about 400 bucks. Espresso and Coda stand at around 90 bucks each.

6. mwilloam macrumors newbie

7. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

8. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

We used Dreamweaver for a year after switching to Mac. It does run fairly well, and I like the suggestions it makes when you're typing methods (particularly in PHP). However, it is expensive.

Coda 2 is a great app. It comes with a 7 day (of use) trial. I wish I'd bought it when it was on offer at release time. The previewing of designs is much better. I'm yet to do a large scale PHP project on it but it seems to be able to handle that well. It also has a built in FTP client. I am really impressed by its features and CSS support. It makes everything so easy to create!

I have also been using Sublime Text 2. Sublime is a really good text editor. It handles syntax highlighting, provides suggestions for input (but not as well as Coda 2). The great thing about Sublime Text 2 is it supports so many languages that at $59 it's a steal. It is just a text editor, there is no WYSIWYG support or the ability to run code (as TextMate does) to my knowledge

9. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

not looking at paying a single cent for the program. cause it's just for basic editing to post on ebay.

10. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Sublime Text 2 has a free trial for life (it just prompts you to purchase about once a day). I'm not sure it suits your needs as it has no WYSIWYG.

We don't use free software for web design because the paid ones tend to be so much better.

11. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

yea but not for biz. its for leisure

12. SailorTom macrumors regular

The native Textedit app allows you to save rich text as HTML, so acts as a very basic wysiwyg editor.

Kompozer is a free wysiwyg editor, but somewhat dated and not particularly easy to use.

If it's just ebay listings, I'm sure you can get some dedicated apps for that, just search online or in mac app store.