HTML emails

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by irishgrizzly, Aug 21, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm putting together a email newsletter for work. This article offers some good advice, but I'd like to know what peoples thoughts of how to best send a HTML email in the mac environment. The Mail app which we use doesn't support HTML composition. Is there any alternatives?

In the past I've heard folks suggest using a service such as iConact, but we don't have any budget (and a small list of clients that will be getting this mail).

2. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

create a nicely structured plain text design and make it very enticing for people to click a link to the proper HTML formatted website with more info?

----

even though you say you have no budget... it is from a 'work', so there must be a few bucks to throw towards it? I don't know the exact rates, but I've done stuff within Vertical Response and it was great for having the ability to send both an HTML formatted message + plain text version for people who could not render the first. This is only useful if there's the change some people can see the HTML.. otherwise I'd stick to the above suggestion.

3. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I'm also trying to create some custom emal for apple mail 2.1.3 Ideally it would be html formatted, would have my logo and contact details etc, would be nice to have this as my automatic email as I'd send this out all the time.
    I've tried to upgrade my email on apple website and can't find any upgrades (there must be a free upgrade on there but I can't find it), I know the new mail has 'save as stationary' option but that option is not available on mine. I tried creating a signature by pasting my image in and formatted some text with the companies details on but the image appeared small when the signature was applied.

4. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks for the replies. There's no budget because it for company self promotion. My first responce was to use iContact which lets you easily generate plain text alternate. But this was shot down. The plain text, with a link to webage is a good idea, but my boss wants to sell the idea to clients of having a email newsletter. Many of them will now pay for this but are rethinking printing quarterly publications.

I've heard the thunderbird email client supports it. It's a shame dreamweaver can't export in this format.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The thing about e-mail newsletters in HTML format is that the sender has zero control over whether or not the receiver's mail client supports HTML or displays it. It's not worth the trouble creating a nice-looking newsletter in a mail client.

Either create a plain-text newsletter with a link, send just a link to your published newsletter online, or don't just give up. You'll never be able to win, regardless of what program you use to create the newsletter: if my mail client has HTML off, it's just going to be another e-mail with an annoying attachment.

6. memco macrumors 6502

I do this by creating the HTML email then uploading it to the web, open the page in Safari and hit "File>Mail Contents Of This Page" (cmd+i). Then you just throw in the addresses and you're all set.

This is not the ideal solution. Sending multi-part emails with HTML and plain text versions is best (which is why icontact and the like are so highly recommended). HTML versions should link to a webpage version of it in case the user's mail client doesn't handle the HTML correctly.

7. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

The other day I received an email through apple mail and it contained a picture of their logo; it looked very professional.
    There was no need to download an attachment or anything like that, how was this done? Mail version 2.1.3.
    Something like this would do for me, I tried copy and pasting my image within my email but it comes up as an attachment and this would not look professional.

8. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Hi Dal123, I think it's because the image is a link – it will be stored on the apple site and therefore not an attachment.

Is there a script I can load into mail that will let me send a plain text variant?

9. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I wasn't suggesting anything; I think you're a bit above me in the knowledge department, I'm just a novice :eek:.
    It was only a small company that sent me the email, and I'm pretty sure they are PC orientated, it looked professional. If anyone has any knowledge on this would be nice to hear.:)

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Any reason besides budget not to use a dedicated system for this? These services are like $15 a month and do quite a lot for the process. I recommend mailchimp or constant contact. Mailchimp even has a certain level of freeness if you don't mind the mailchimp logo on your emails.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=754618

11. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Here's another vote for mailchimp - even if you don't want to pay or use thier free service, they have some great resources/templates/articles which will help you learn how to creat your own effective email marketting pieces.

Let us know how you get on :)

/Doug

12. a cat *miaow* macrumors regular

+ another vote for MailChimp

It's a great site, with very nice functionality. Could be a little faster to create your campaigns but overall I would say it's the best thing out there for what you want