Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhymes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Stouffville, ON
I wouldnt know where to start looking for this topic so forgive me if its been asked already I'm a noob to forums :eek: A couple of years back (4-5) i used Notepad on my PC for web design but never actually published anything before and have a ton of pages already completed. Now is there a way that i could possibly just upload those .html files into iWeb or Rapidweaver and then publish using the MobileMe? Just got my new mac but am definately interested in starting to get my site on the internet finally. Oh and is there Notepad for macs? or will i have to find another program like that?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You won't be able to import any HTML files into iWeb, and I don't believe Rapidweaver either, but could be wrong on that one.

As far as a text editor for Mac, see the stickies in the forum, which are also linked to in my signature. I use BBEdit, and TextWrangler is a free version of it. There's also TextMate (cost $), Smultron (free), Taco Edit (free), and others. Mac comes with TextEdit, but it's limited. These other programs have color coding and features that make coding quicker and easier.

dtyson

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Isn't that what that web widget thing is for in iWeb? I think one can insert one's own HTML into one of these containers and publish it, although this isn't "importing" per se.

I wouldn't mess with it, myself. Why not just upload the HTML files you already have to MobileMe? Seems like you're adding an extra step to the whole process that doesn't need to be added.

tazmun

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
Salisbury, MA
Rapidweaver compatibility

Rapidweaver is very versatile, and has a page offering that comes with it that is pure html, in which you could paste your code. There is a choice in inspector when using the html page to have no theme applied as well.

However Rapidweaver does not remove files from your site just because you happen to delete one, so the bottom line is your still going to need an ftp client when using rapidweaver. I highly recommend "Transmit" but there are freebie options available. So if this is just for one site, you might just as well use an ftp client to upload your existing html.

However should you want to incorporate your existing designs or files into Rapidweaver as themes(templates) there is a free SDK kit available on their site with all the documentation you need and blank theme files for you to start with. To create these themes it's possible with something like the free "TextWrangler", but I highly recommend "TextMate"(which works directly with Transmit) and CSSEdit. Coda is also another good option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.