Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gokuu

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Guys I really need you to help a noob, ME. I am developing a noob website. consists of

header
body top
body bottom
footer

all these are made with tables and background images. attached are images of the body top and body bottom i need help with. in the gold image theres 2 sections and i want to place type over the first larger section and insert a swf in the other section. Well like i said these are tables, i have inserted a table within a table but i cannot move it where i need it to be so it is right over the swection i need it. and how to i get the second table in there?

in the red image i have 3 sections that I just want to place text over and thats it. but again i cannot place the tables where i need them.

Please help I have searched hi and low, but all i find are tutorials that either doesnt explain how to or im just missing it.

please hacve mercy on me as I am a noob, sorry guys but I need you...

Gokuu

Attachments

• gold-body.png
    gold-body.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 73
  • red-gray-body.png
    red-gray-body.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 74

SailorTom

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
You need to re-think how you're coding. You shouldn't use tables for layout, use them for tabular information. All layout should be done with CSS. There are plenty of (X)HTML and CSS tutorials out there. Try tizag, activejump, html dog and w3schools to start with.

It would help if you could attach your code, or link to the site so we can see how far you've got.

cyberdesignz

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
You can easily place your table where you want by using the designing tools like DREAMWEAVER or FRONTPAGE.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
In my opinion SailorTom's advice is the proper path you should follow using CSS and div's. Otherwise, when you create tables you're inserting data (like text) into cells. This implies between the <td> and </td> tags within a given row or column, depending on how your table is constructed. Using an IDE in design view, as cyberdesignz wisely recommended, helps you identify which cell to use by simply clicking on it. Just make sure the cell is large enough to contain the content you're adding, and an old trick is to temporarily add a border or different background color to the specific cell to help you easily identify from the others when placing content and checking size.

But if you opted to go CSS/div you'd find this much easier to do, so take the time to learn that method as well.

-jim

rk1991

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
Can someone check the source code for http://www.diamondprincess.com and let me know if it has been done correctly. I just started learning html and css and decided to check the source code and I noticed a lot of table, rows and column tags. If the tables are actually used for the layout please let me know so I can get it corrected.
Thanks in advance.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If the tables are actually used for the layout please let me know so I can get it corrected.

It's very obviously using tables for layout. If you can't tell that, I'm thinking you likely won't know how to do the layout with CSS.

SailorTom

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Can someone check the source code for http://www.diamondprincess.com and let me know if it has been done correctly. I just started learning html and css and decided to check the source code and I noticed a lot of table, rows and column tags. If the tables are actually used for the layout please let me know so I can get it corrected.
Thanks in advance.

Yes, tables are being used for layout. It's easy to check, make sure you have developer tools switched on in safari, right click on the page and inspect element. can do the same in firefox using firebug add-on

rk1991

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
It's very obviously using tables for layout. If you can't tell that, I'm thinking you likely won't know how to do the layout with CSS.

I never planned on doing it myself. I said I would get it corrected.

Yes, tables are being used for layout. It's easy to check, make sure you have developer tools switched on in safari, right click on the page and inspect element. can do the same in firefox using firebug add-on

I kinda knew it was using tables but I wanted to be sure. I just started to learn html and css so I didn't trust my own knowledge. Also for some reason firebug would not install on my macbook so I just used the view source in firefox.

Thanks for clarifying everything.

SailorTom

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Also for some reason firebug would not install on my macbook so I just used the view source in firefox.

Odd. I assume you checked FF was up to latest version before trying to install firebug.

Viewing source is fine, but can be difficult to interpret. Tools like firebug help visualise what codes for what element on the webpage, and what css is applied to it. Very useful for learning actually.

rk1991

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
firefox was up to date but for some reason it was not installing. An error kept popping up. I just restarted my computer and the installation worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.