HTML mystery

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by prechrchet, Sep 12, 2011.

1. prechrchet macrumors regular

I have two pages have identical coding. They are here and here

However, on one of them, the background (dark green leaves) is not showing up while on the other one it is.

Can someone tell my why it is working on one page and not the other? (I have knocked a hole in the wall with my head trying to figure this one out.) The only difference, as you can tell from the addresses, is the name of the folder that they are in.

Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well, first off, they are not identical at all. The first link (with the leaves) has boat loads more code in it than the first one.

What is the file name of the background picture you're using?

And...

Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Looks like you set the background color for body to white in the head of the PHP file. If you take that out of there, the background will show up.

I recommend installing Firebug if you're using Firefox, which lets you inspect and modify your HMTL elements more easily.

4. prechrchet thread starter macrumors regular

Mystery Solved (kind of)

I think I figured it out.

What I have are two identical php pages that are pulling from two different guestbook program databases. There is something in the second database that is telling it to make the background a specific color (which was what ergdegdeg was seeing).

Thank you all for your time!

5. manueld macrumors 6502

can i just say that those leaves are painful to the eyes!

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Oh man, I've got a headache looking at the source code for both pages.

What I am going to say is revisit both of them and structure them in a more standard way. It would also be very helpful to move styles and code to separate files and pull them in via links/references.

and the next of the second (read problem) page is just painful. I'm not trying to lay on you here, only that the structure of the page is all messed up, at least for me and my understanding.