HTML to ePUB

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Juanbond, May 18, 2011.

1. Juanbond macrumors member

Juanbond

I am currently studying for a certification with my employer. The study materials I was given for the certification came in a hard copy form as well as a CD with HTML files (there is index file with hyperlinks to each chapter). I was curious to know if there was a way to take simple HTML files and convert them into ePUB files. Since the information is so voluminous I would love to have an iPad version to study when I travel. I am also under the impression that ePUB files on the iPad can be highlighted?

Thank you!

2. laurenr macrumors 6502a

3. Codyormoe macrumors member

I use Calibre, it will convert just about any format to epub. Since an epub is basically a zip file with html pages inside, converting html to epub would be quick and simple.

Forgot to mention that, yes, you can highlight in ibooks, anything you highlight will be in the bookmark section of the Table of Contents, it will show in yellow while a regular book mark will be red.

4. kalex macrumors 65816

Try calibre. It will do what you need and will output a nicely formatted epub file with working links

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you tap and hold a highlighted section, a pop-up menu comes up with several options, one of which is to change the color of the highlight. You can pick from several color options.

6. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

what i cant figure out for the life of me is to include fixed-width/monospace text in the epub.

i've tried both AVS and calibre, as well as embedding fonts outlined here ... the ebook reader emulators within calibre and AVS will always show the epub with the monospace fonts, but as soon as my iPad reads it, everything is back to a single font.

what is going on?? :confused:

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Assuming your text is in HTML, have you tried highlighting the text with the <pre> tag?

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

zamzar.com

Free conversion between many formats. I've only used it for PDF to Mobi (for Kindle) and it converts nicely.

You just upload your files then they email you a link for the converted files like 10-15 minutes later. Instant conversion costs a small fee.