HTML to RSS

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jkarp1, Dec 18, 2011.

1. jkarp1, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

jkarp1 macrumors member

okay so heres what i want to do, i want to convert this webpage into RSS or grab a RSS feed from it (kinda new at this, not entirely sure on how it all works) but i just want the page converted to RSS so i can eventually have it as a RSS Feed on my desktop with geektool, any online apps or apps in general to do this for me ? or even a manual way i can do it ? i have researched this a bit and found a few answers for pc but nothing for mac :(

2. xtacocorex macrumors regular

You could probably use Python's HTMLParser library to go through the tables in the HTML source to scrape the data.

3. jkarp1 thread starter macrumors member

Any directions on how to use it for this particular task ?

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

5. xtacocorex macrumors regular

I'm working on a solution, need some time to figure it out, creating an HTML parser in Python a little challenging.

6. xtacocorex macrumors regular

Well I have a solution, but it won't work if you use the url you provided. I wrote the code based upon the HTML source grabbed from Opera.

If you run it with the link you proved, I get garbage, it displays crap in the terminal and can't find the HTML tags. :(

Need to figure out what is going on.

7. jkarp1 thread starter macrumors member

Thats the same issue i came across, seems that the webpage is a different format to most.

8. jkarp1, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012

jkarp1 thread starter macrumors member

I did get this to work on my desktop with geektool eventually, although i would of preferred to have it done in a more manual way that could be done with any webpage similar to the one i linked, so that i can do it in the future when there isnt a RSS feed supplied, but thankyou for your help, made things a lot more simple this time ;)

----------

Here is what i ended up with, for anyone interested.

[​IMG]

9. xtacocorex macrumors regular

What is really weird is that the script I wrote for you, works occasionally, but not all the time. It's odd, but there are times where the HTML that Python pulls isn't complete garbage. I have no idea why, but I don't feel right giving you the script since it hardly works perfectly.