Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

don't do it

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
somewhere on the Earth
ok i know it doesn't make a difference what kind of computer i use but i was hoping that anyone who is HTML savvy could tell me how to upload pictures off my computer.
thanks

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Either way you're going to have to pay for web hosting - regardless of where you go - unless your ISP offers free hosting to it's members

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
What is it you want to do? Make a website or just store pictures somewhere?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
if you just want to store your image or files, there are many free services such as imageshack, flickr, box.net etc.

some firefox addons also allow you to use your gmail space as online HDD.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
yeah, we need more info. "upload pictures off my computer" can mean a number of things.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I'm looking for something to upload over 20gb of photos just to store, not really to view, just to store.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Lots of places offer that service. Just search for online backup, but the main limiting factor is going to be upload speed, especially if you use ADSL.

ya, we've tried a few but they've all been really slow, can anyone recommend one that they've had good luck with?

LockedOut

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
we have them all stored locally, and backed up, but if we had a fire or something we need some place to store them remotely.

remotely? keep hard copies of them as data files in another location. that would be a one time cost of the disks/external hard drive and your time.

if you want a digital warehouse to store everything (like I do), you will have to pay over the period of storage. the only problem with digital storage is security. if any files are things you want to be kept private---store them in hard copy on an external hard drive with a case. I have a plug in hard drive that I store photos and private papers on. It has it's own power source so I can take it and plug it in anywhere.

if your images/files do not require privacy, go with a free service or two or three. but you will have to keep files on where everything is.

just don't store lots of stuff with Apple servers. they might just roll out a new product like mobileme and then you are in deep doo doo.

:eek:

if you want stuff online accessible:
I suggest if you know somebody with a real web hosting account you ask them if they have space you can use.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
remotely? keep hard copies of them as data files in another location. that would be a one time cost of the disks/external hard drive and your time.

Based on what you're doing, I'm going to echo this idea. You've got about 20GB of data. That's only a few DVDs. (Or a cheap portable hard drive.) Make another copy and stick them in your desk at work, or your parents' house, or somewhere similar.

LockedOut

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Based on what you're doing, I'm going to echo this idea. You've got about 20GB of data. That's only a few DVDs. (Or a cheap portable hard drive.) Make another copy and stick them in your desk at work, or your parents' house, or somewhere similar.

I keep thinking the poster in question is not asking exactly what he/she wants to. Some people want to store image files online and those files they want to be kept from view. There are free services that allow this (size limits) but doing it this way has the possibility of things being compromised.

I am moving and am loading up most everything onto an external drive that will be stored safely with somebody I trust.

I hope the issue was resolved for the thread starter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.