HTML5 slow performance on PPC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mabaker, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

I dunno if it’s MY computers or stuff but I gotta say all the HTML5 videos along with Google Maps are way smoother running on Intel machines than on the PPC platform.

Also if you have a powerbook and a choice between an HTML5 video and a Flash one, the F L A S H one will play smooth as butter compared to the HTML5 one.

Anybody with similar experiences? Anybody with PB’s or iMacs G5 that are running Youtube Flash smoother than their HTML5 counterparts?

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have intel mac with os 10.6.3 and run html5 on youtube. When it renders videos in HTML5 instead of the standard way there is a definite issue with placement of the recommended videos on the right hand side. This might just be an issue with rendering since I think that it is new and the HTML5 version of youtube says beta.

3. mabaker thread starter macrumors 65816

mabaker

Yes! I have the very same exact issue on my Intel mini! Thought something was up with Safari but apparently it isn’t.

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

My YouTube screws up too, it's a problem with YouTube, not you.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is because PPC is SLOW. Everything is "way smoother" running on Intel vs PPC.

The platform is 5 years old now, give or take a year. Yes, Flash is faster on PPC than HTML5, it's just the way it is.

6. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I have the same issue on my G4 iBook, but even Flash is kind of rough. I use ClicktoFlash to prevent all flash from loading unless I need it to.