HTML5 Tag for Main Content

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ppc_michael, Apr 2, 2010.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm rewriting my site with HTML5 and trying to do it all semantically. Is there a tag for the main portion of the site (to differentiate it from the <nav>, <footer>, etc?) I was kind of thinking <section> but I've been reading that that tag is meant more for "sub section" type stuff. No <main>? No reassignment of <body>? ;) Just a <div>?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

After looking at several pages describing semantics in HTML5 like this one, it seems that the <article> tag is about as close to what you're looking for as it's gonna get right now.

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Hmm. Alrighty, thanks! I think I'll stick with a <div> then, since I'm not really writing articles.

4. Dunmail macrumors regular

I don't know the answer directly but html5doctor is worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Don't get caught up too much in what you think the word article means, it's not just for articles.

[http://boblet.tumblr.com/post/130610820/html5-structure1]

6. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

It's a very poor design choice to rewrite your site in an incomplete standard :rolleyes:

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not really. Plenty of sites, including Google, are redoing some of its pages. While not completely "finished" it is pretty stable and is not likely to have any radical changes.