HTML5 Tag for Main Content

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm rewriting my site with HTML5 and trying to do it all semantically. Is there a tag for the main portion of the site (to differentiate it from the <nav>, <footer>, etc?) I was kind of thinking <section> but I've been reading that that tag is meant more for "sub section" type stuff. No <main>? No reassignment of <body>? ;) Just a <div>?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Don't get caught up too much in what you think the word article means, it's not just for articles.

[http://boblet.tumblr.com/post/130610820/html5-structure1]
@boblet said:
<article>—an "an independent part of a document or site". This means it should be able to ‘stand alone’, and still make sense if you encountered it somewhere else (eg in an RSS feed). Examples include a weblog article (duh), a forum post or a comment. Like <section> these generally have a header, and maybe a footer (W3C:HTML, WhatWG)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It's a very poor design choice to rewrite your site in an incomplete standard :rolleyes:
Not really. Plenty of sites, including Google, are redoing some of its pages. While not completely "finished" it is pretty stable and is not likely to have any radical changes.