html5 vs. flash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jerseymacman, Jun 4, 2010.

1. jerseymacman macrumors newbie

All my techies out there.. Can someone explain to me what HTML5 is? Will we be able to view flash videos with it?

2. rolen27 macrumors newbie

HTML5 basically is a combination of new HTML tags, Cascading Style Sheets and Javascript. Using it will reduce the reliance on browser plug-ins such as the Flash player.

You won't be able to view Flash videos in HTML5. The video type supported seems to be MPEG-4/H.264.

You would still need the Flash player to playback Flash video.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Well, technically HTML5 only defines the <video></video> tag, it's up to the browser to add support for codecs.

4. jerseymacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so please forgive me I am not very tech savvy.. When the iphone doesnt support certain video and displays that little blue lego sign, will html5 eliminate that?

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Indeed. There was originally a proposal to make the Theora codec a standard and requiring browsers to support it natively, but members of W3C balked at the idea.

Basically, HTML 5 is an update to the HTML markup language used in web pages. It adds a video tag which can be used to embed video in web pages without the use of a separate plugin. The idea is to make plugins like Flash obsolete.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Depends on what that blue lego sign is a placeholder for. If it's flash, then no, HTML5 will not eliminate that.

BUT, if the website uses HTML5 along with a codec that your browser supports, then yes it will.

7. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

It's up to websites to replace their use of Flash with HTML5 at which point you will no longer see those lego signs. The lego sign is there because iPad/iPhone/iPod don't play Flash. That won't change with HTML5, it will only make it more likely that sites will will stop using Flash.